When will Melon understand their chart was never the reason behind their decreasing userbase?

• Melon's chart, as of 2020 October had it's highest ever monthly sub count. The low UL count for songs wasn't anything to do at all with concurrent monthly users, songs that did hit prove this by having just as high or higher total UL's as prior to the reform. The UL's were low due to visibility suppression from the 24Hits being a poor way to present new music.

Melon's is bigger than ever in terms of monthly subs, the issue is older users are leaving due to the app being frustrating and that's why they keep fiddling with the chart as the growth has come to almost a complete standstill for them while competitors like Flo and Youtube are taking leaps over the last 2 years.

Any source for melon having the highest monthly sub in october?

• Because having a chart based on unfiltered streaming is dumb. It supposed to reflect whats popular and what the public listens to, not what 1000 obnoxious fans masstream on repeat every five minutes.

All big charts does this even if not it the same way, spotify afaik base their chart on max 10 streams from a user/day, which is bascially the same only with a factor of 10.

There is a difference and quite a gap on filtering streams and straight up making them useless for the chart. Melon chose the second option. Am I the only one who listens to a song every day more than once because I want to, not in order to mass stream?

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• they should get rid of real time chart and keep only the daily one like Flo, a real time chart make no sense, instead they could have a trend chart for newer releases

• At this point I'm starting to think they will launch a new chart every year thinking in how to retain subscriptions

And every year will fail because that's not why Melon is losing them

What irks me is how can be them so unaware of their own customers music habits, doesn't Melon have any Data Science team to back them up? smh

I doubt they have anything strong yet. I think they really need a new leadership the recognizes the importance of generating anonymized data for use in business strategy. Just nothing to the point of YT algoritm or TikTok algorithm yet.

Spotify's algorithm is weak too, btw but its decent enough that it gets hits once in awhile.

• There is a difference and quite a gap on filtering streams and straight up making them useless for the chart. Melon chose the second option. Am I the only one who listens to a song every day more than once because I want to, not in order to mass stream?

This is how all almost all charts work in korea, not just melon.Its not perfect by any means, still better than many alternatives.

Somehow filtering must come in at some point, whetever it be 1ul/day, 1/hour etc, or capped at som arbitary number.

• Official Post

I mean yeah it's true. Other streaming services were offering pretty much the same thing but at a cheaper price. Just lower your price bish

They needed to stand out in some way but not like this. The damage control is going to do nothing but decrease their userbase even further. At some point YT Music will become the #1 streaming service over there if it hasn't already, Melon just keeps shooting themselves in the foot.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!