Discuss the music and the idols, not fans/users

• I used to be a member of a forum dedicated to a portion of pop culture. It was super active and was filled with fans who could be a bit too invested in their faves. This could lead to a lot of fighting and other negativity.

To counteract that, the forum instituted a rule that posts had to be about the pop culture itself. We couldn't discuss the other users or even the fans. The forum was for discussing the pop culture. After all, that's whatwe were all there for.

I have to say, it was a pleasure to be on that forum. There were always good, on topic discussions. People didn't get bashed. They weren't bullied. Threads pretty much stayed on topic.

Some people thought the rule was too draconian, but usually the people who thought that were the trolls that like to start drama or immature people who just aren't happy unless they get to talk smack about someone. Let's face it, you generally only bring up other fandoms to shade. If you're talking about other "fans", your intentions aren't likely good no matter how indirectly you try to word it.

Why not stick to discussing the music/group itself? Isn't that what we're here for? And people would feel more comfortable and less afraid of being bashed (or completely bullied out of the forum like we saw last week). Am I alone here in thinking that would be a good rule for the kpop section at least?

• ad hominem remarks are what AKP is best at. You hope for too much MissB from kpop stans. :pepepizza:

Clearly, considering this thread got zero traction. Lol I think it's sad tbh. I love kpop and really enjoy discussing it, but most don't seem that interested in actually talking about the music. Or maybe those that want to have honest discussions about the music are scared of voicing their opinions for fear of being attacked and even bullied for those opinions. I wonder how much more active and even how much more fun this place would be if people didn't constantly use the forum to exercise grudges or to make them feel better about themselves by putting down others.

• A lot of times people already judge the thread when they see who the OP is.

Like some users could probably make a thread like 'BTS loves chicken more than BlackPink' and we will have 10 pages conversations regarding

• Are you saying that girls don't like chicken?
    • BTS only likes chicken because Macdonalds
    • YG mediaplay about chickens
    • BP building hype and instagram modelling for chickens
    • BTS only make English songs about chickens they lost their sense of music
    • BP don't even write their own songs about chickens
    • Are they going to serve chickens at the Grammys?
  • Late to the thread, but in the web, when people disagree on something, they quickly turn disagreeable and attack the person, instead of the subject.

It is easier to malign the person of malicious motivations, than deal with the substance of what they said

Crying, "You hate my faves" or " You are jealous etc" is the go to resort of the such immature folks, thrown in with some swear words, abuse etc.

It is a typical Web malaise, and K-pop is no exception.

Moderation can do little, and often moderation itself is made up of fans, who have trouble with such things.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!