What do you think of Laurel Hubbard?

• i'm pretty conflicted. i understand that she's trained all her life to compete and i'm all for inclusivity...

but something about this whole issue rubs me the wrong way when many cis women (namibian athletes this year) recently weren't allowed to compete because of naturally high testosterone and trans atheletes are allowed double the testosterone (5nmol for cis women, 10 nmol for trans/intersex)

what do you think about this? should trans/intersex athletes be allowed to compete with cis atheletes? it's impossible to make a separate category for ~2% of the population that are very different (ftm, mtf, intersex people are a wide spectrum too)

remember to pls be respectful to laurel and her pronouns cuz if anyone is disrespectful i'll have the mods shut this thread.

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• i'm pretty conflicted. i understand that she's trained all her life to compete and i'm all for inclusivity...

but something about this whole issue rubs me the wrong way when many cis women (namibian athletes this year) recently weren't allowed to compete because of naturally high testosterone and trans atheletes are allowed double the testosterone (5nmol for cis women, 10 nmol for trans/intersex)

I never realised that women had a limit of the testosterone before they are barred from competing...

so like how does that even work???? do they test them before events or what?????

• I never realised that women had a limit of the testosterone before they are barred from competing...

so like how does that even work???? do they test them before events or what?????

yep

they do testing cuz testosterone can mostly be considered a performance enhancing drug too

i somewhat understand not allowing cis women with unnaturally high testosterone to compete because that could be unfair but trans/intersex getting double the allowance is whack

• yep

they do testing cuz testosterone can mostly be considered a performance enhancing drug too

i somewhat understand not allowing cis women with unnaturally high testosterone to compete because that could be unfair but trans/intersex getting double the allowance is whack

sorry I haven't even gotten to the trans part yet but I understand testosterone can be used as a PED but so like naturally high testosterone women can't compete - the rationale is what??? that it would be unfair to other competitors???? lol

• sorry I haven't even gotten to the trans part yet but I understand testosterone can be used as a PED but so like naturally high testosterone women can't compete - the rationale is what??? that it would be unfair to other competitors???? lol

they'd have to medically restrict testosterone, yes, because you can't tell if this is natural or PED

i dont really get the logic either but the thing is that the average woman has between 0 to 1.7 nmol of testosterone so it would be unfair if women with 5nmol+ which is super duper high start competing too

• they'd have to medically restrict testosterone, yes, because you can't tell if this is natural or PED

i dont really get the logic either but the thing is that the average woman has between 0 to 1.7 nmol of testosterone so it would be unfair if women with 5nmol+ which is super duper high start competing too

ok...that's interesting...

so then trans women are allowed a higher level of testosterone ?

• trans and intersex are grouped together and are allowed 10nmol

cis women are allowed 5nmol

other than that i still feel like trans women have some biological advantages but idk

hmmm i didn't know that..

oh well what we need is for a trans woman to win something like a major major global event like a world cup or the Olympics then people will start talking more...

• she'll win the gold for sure

i'm scared that this will cause transphobia but i dont think it's fair either

well haters are gonna hate hate hate right? lol

I mean if she wins then it brings up more discussion on the eligibility of trans women to compete in such events...and besides the more professionals that speak either for or against the greater weight their words carry

• well haters are gonna hate hate hate right? lol

I mean if she wins then it brings up more discussion on the eligibility of trans women to compete in such events...and besides the more professionals that speak either for or against the greater weight their words carry

lets see what happens ahah

what is for sure is that she will win her event

what follows is up for debate

• lets see what happens ahah

what is for sure is that she will win her event

what follows is up for debate

maybe if she competes...is there anything that says she will win for sure though??? I mean she only got silver in 2017 World Championships (according to wikipedia) so winning isn't certain and she's 43 so the added baggage of being older hinders her abilities...

• maybe if she competes...is there anything that says she will win for sure though??? I mean she only got silver in 2017 World Championships (according to wikipedia) so winning isn't certain and she's 43 so the added baggage of being older hinders her abilities...

she's won gold in every event since 2019

laurel beat the one who beat her in 2017 by a whole 19kg

• she's won gold in every event since 2019

laurel beat the one who beat her in 2017 by a whole 19kg

I'm not that familiar with weightlifting so I wouldn't have the specifics...

hmm...does that mean she's won every competition she's competed in since 2017????

• ninichan

I was just looking at this online and it seems there are different rules for different sports i guess...

CeCe Telfer: Transgender woman ruled ineligible to run in US Olympic Trials - CNN

The World Athletics guidelines state that one of the requirements to be eligible to participate in the female category at an international competition in events ranging in distances from 400 meters to a mile is that her testosterone levels must be less than 5 nanomoles per liter for a period of at least 12 months.

• that appears to be because the usatf requirements (usa only) are different from the olympic ones, and thus she cannot even run trials (because you have to be a member of usatf to qualify for olympics from america)

also iaaf/world atheltics (athletics only) has different regulations too

olympics rule is:

Athletes would also be required to demonstrate that their total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nanomoles per litre for at least 12 months prior to their first competition

• that appears to be because the usatf requirements (usa only) are different from the olympic ones, and thus she cannot even run trials (because you have to be a member of usatf to qualify for olympics from america)

also iaaf/world atheltics (athletics only) has different regulations too

olympics rule is:

Athletes would also be required to demonstrate that their total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nanomoles per litre for at least 12 months prior to their first competition

the more you know lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!