Things people said that made you sideeye

• Something that I often hear from my FEMALE acquaintances is that it doesn't look good on female when she gets drunk. Then I say well it also looks bad on males (I hate when people get drunk) and then they usually say, well they are males so it is okay, some go as far to say it is sexy. And I am like 2x (15) (1).gif

What, why is it sexy when a guy gets drunk? LOL And man, I hate that double standard!

• i'm half chinese. When I was in grade school, I always get the question "why can't you speak mandarin, etc.?" :eyes:

Ugh, I don't understand why people feel so free to ask rude and invasive questions.

the way thirstaer was asked does seem insensitive

but would it be okay to ask someone who is chinese or half chinese

"can you speak Chinese" and if the answer is no follow up with why not?

• the way thirstaer was asked does seem insensitive

but would it be okay to ask someone who is chinese or half chinese

"can you speak Chinese" and if the answer is no follow up with why not?

For me, it depends on what prompted the question. In my area, the issue is the assumption that people who are Asian are less "American" than white people and are likely immigrants or at least have immigrant parents. I have friends with parents who immigrated here from Germany or Sweden or Slovakia and they get questions like that far less often than some of my Asian friends whose families have been in this country longer. If it comes up naturally in conversation that so and so is first generation, then I think it's reasonable to ask if they speak the language. But conversations like this is usually what happens:

Intrusive Stranger : What are you?

Asian-looking Person: Umm, what do you mean?

IP: You know, what's your nationality?

AP: Oh, I'm American.

IP: No, I mean, where are you from?

AP: I live here in San Diego.

IP: No, where are you really from? Originally

AP: I was born in San Francisco

IP: No, where is your family from?

AP: Sigh. My heritage is Korean, but we've been here three generations.

IP: Do you speak Korean?

AP: No

IP: Why not?

AP: I'm not sure why I need to explain my multi-generational family dynamic to satiate your curiousity.

My friends of Italian descent are very rarely asked if they speak Italian.

• that's some of my conversations with Chinese looking Australians...lol

the issue I have with that is what is then "what is your identity" I guess since you look Chinese but you don't act like it and even more you've lost all semblance of Chinese culture and language...

no one will ever treat you as a full Aussie (or American) because of the way you look but yet no one will ever treat you as a Chinese either because you don't identify yourself as such...

PS: I'm not being rude about it it's just how it works...

• that's some of my conversations with Chinese looking Australians...lol

the issue I have with that is what is then "what is your identity" I guess since you look Chinese but you don't act like it and even more you've lost all semblance of Chinese culture and language...

no one will ever treat you as a full Aussie (or American) because of the way you look but yet no one will ever treat you as a Chinese either because you don't identify yourself as such...

PS: I'm not being rude about it it's just how it works...

But what is "acting Chinese" though? Especially for someone that may never have actually been to China in their life? And why are they treated as not full Aussie when a white person can be treated as full Aussie, but they're not indigenous to Australia either? Also, why do you have these conversations? Why do you want to know?

• But what is "acting Chinese" though? Especially for someone that may never have actually been to China in their life? And why are they treated as not full Aussie when a white person can be treated as full Aussie, but they're not indigenous to Australia either? Also, why do you have these conversations? Why do you want to know?

to get to know them...to find out more about them and such...

like if i see or meet someone new that might be an example of the conversation i have with them...

Like hello I'm x, I'm y I will always ask them where they are from if they look chinese...

acting Chinese as in chinese culture, chinese language...etc etc

And why are they treated as not full Aussie when a white person can be treated as full Aussie

It's just the ways things are...I'm Chinese and Australian and I've been here in Australia for around 30 years of my 36 year old life and I still get treated more like a Chinese than an Aussie...

• Ahh, okay. Now I get it. You're not asking random strangers (like a cashier at the store) because they look different. You suspect that you have this in common with them and are trying to get to know them. That's different from trying to play guess the ethnicity and looking at that person as if they're some kind of oddity.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!