An appreciation to Epik High's 99 Era (2012)

• It's been a long time since I've made my last thread. I guess I'm back making threads here lol

What a comeback that was for Epik High!

Tablo was gradually returning to the music scene after his whole misunderstanting about actually being a Stanford student

(the most stupid scandal ever imo),

and following the release of his beautiful Fever's End solo album in 2011 - the first album of his after signing with YG Entertainment -, the group took a next step: releasing their first album after 3 long years of hiatus.

That's how 99 came out.

220px-Epik_High_99_album_cover.jpg

Including collabs with artists like Park Bom, Gaeko from Dynamic Duo and the monster rookie (back then) Lee Hi,

the album was meant to bring encouragement to the listeners and bring back the energy of the songs the members used to listen to while growing up back in the 90s.

Below the song UP, featuring Park Bom, which displays exactly the concept the group was embracing.

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The fun song Don't Hate Me, according to the members on their short documentary about the album, means that

"even though the world hates you, if there's at least one person that loves you, life is worth living".

The documentary below:

Aside from the Title Tracks, this album has masterpieces like It's Cold featuring Lee Hi (a song that reached high

positions on charts back then), Kill This Love (YG artists love killing love I guess lol),

and my favorite from the album, New Beautiful.

"Real is The New Beautiful".

The album received good critical acclaim, despite being different from everything they'd released so far.

99 gave Epik High a MAMA Award for Best Rap/Hip Hop Performance for the song UP, a GDA Award in the same category and a SMA Bonsang for the group.

epik-high.jpg

Not only that, and maybe the reason why I've made this thread, Epik High delivered, in my opinion,

the most memorable performance ever on MAMA: their HATE Mental Hospital live performance.

For those who have never enjoyed this masterpiece of performance, here it is:

So yeah, I hope you guys appreciate this album and check it if you've never listened to it.

Have a nice day/afternoon/night! <3

• This just reminds me I need to listen to their whole discography. I keep meaning to do it but then I always forget.

External Content youtu.be

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!