Was/is/will pop/kpop be popular beyond its target audience of teens?

• Adele too and arguably Taylor.

I think the difference that they don't make music that most people think is 'real music'. Idols like IU and BTS are known to make music by themselves(which 90% of KPOP can't do or aren't allowed too). The same reason why people like Ariana and Justin aren't really appreciated outside of the teen/20s demographic compared to people like Taylor/Adele/Ed, they can't really write alot of their songs(Ariana has improved in this regard though) and their music is considered pop which isn't really a genre for respected artists.

Ed/Taylor/Adele etc most of them are known for their songwriting but for the music their music is more catchy and have very simple chord progressions esp songs of Ed Sheeran, that's why its more memorable for everyone i think. Also Adele, Taylor & Ed look modest & mature to most people thats why they might be interested.

for kpop, yeah the one reason where people dont take kpop seriously is they think idols dont make music by themselves and they think their music is not that deep and dont cover serious topics. From groups i stan SKZ write & produce all their music and they cover topics related to youth & teens. Maybe that's why older people dont relate to their music. But BTS's message is more universal "Love Yourself" which is directed to everyone. For the music part it's hard for kpop to become mainstream & go outside teen demograph since its very experimental, intensive, past faced, unconventional. Older people might prefer listening ballads, R&B etc much more slow paced & catchy music.

• I ain't gonna talk about pop as a whole genre cause imo it's a very wide umbrella term with too many different artists under it who are loved by very different people of different age. Unless you, of course, mean smth like Disney pop songs lol In this case the problem is the same as for kpop: it's just marketed for teens that's why it attracts teens mostly. It's like you can't really expect Nickelodeon to have big percentage of adult viewers simply cause Nickelodeon caters for different audience. Sometimes acts can grew up with their audience and thus make their audience wider but sometimes not cause it's not so easy to change and to do it in the way ppl would love it. It's all about marketing really.

Edited 2 times, last by kirla ().

• all_users.png

The older we get the less popular the artists we listen to because we stop listening to new music.

That's according to a new survey from Deezer, which suggests people stop discovering new music at just 30 and a half.

The peak age for discovering new music, the results suggested, was 24. This is when 75% of respondents said they listened to 10 or more new tracks a week, and 64% said they sought out five new artists per month. After this, though, it seems people's ability to keep up with music trends peters off.

Some of the reasons the survey revealed were people being overwhelmed by the amount of choice available (19%), having a demanding job (16%), and caring for young children (11%). Nearly half of respondents said they wished they had more time to dedicate to discovering new music, so at least for that 47% it wasn't due to a lack of interest.

• Really? But I think twitter and instagram are populated with really really young users that like kpop.

Also what is with jaemins eyes in your sig? Is this from their mv??

Not armys. Research BTS last army research on twitter had over 50% form the age of 20s and above. The research covered 400k armys ifrc

• Adele too and arguably Taylor.

I think the difference that they don't make music that most people think is 'real music'. Idols like IU and BTS are known to make music by themselves(which 90% of KPOP can't do or aren't allowed to do). The same reason why people like Ariana and Justin aren't really appreciated outside of the teen/20s demographic compared to people like Taylor/Adele/Ed, they can't really write or produce alot of their songs(Ariana has improved in this regard though) and their music is considered pop which isn't really a genre for respected artists.

Good Point

• In my opinion, it is similar to kids music like Baby Shark. You eventually outgrow it because a catchy beat and repetitive lyrics just won't cut it anymore. Sure they will always be fun but as you get older you are more likely to listen to music that are more relatable and evoke a more personal experience. You have less time to waste so you want to enjoy what you make time for. Being able to engage the audiences emotions, intellect, and desires is what makes TV, movies, books, and music popular.

Also true. The older people get the more they want something real and more meaningful. I guess it comes along with the stress of life.

• I mean a lot of kpop stans are adults and you can't all get current adults to be stans. For example, my parents they will never like BTS, Blackpink unless they release something that is like 90's Indian music. But remember, soon those teenagers will become adults so.

Not necessarily. I'm male in my mid-40s and I enjoy listening to Blackpink together with the missus and kids.

• Being a much much older fan probably puts me in the rare category as a K pop fan, but that doesn’t mean I can’t listen to and enjoy it I doubt whether it will be a huge hit with more mature fans as it’s mainly geared for a younger audience. I only got into it in the first place due to my daughter otherwise I wouldn’t have come across it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!