Was/is/will pop/kpop be popular beyond its target audience of teens?

• When I think of current pop legends like Ariana or Justin. Beyond their strong and devoted fanbases their songs rarely talked about outside those circles. Even in South Korea trot singers overshadows kpop so much so that Gallup had to create two charts.

Even tho kpop/pop has that general appeal with catchy choruses, empowering anthems, sexy concepts with plenty of fodder for the male gaze. Why does it rarely spread beyond the teen fan audience?

Outside of say someone like BTS everything is shoved under the kpop umbrella. Not saying bts are undeserving of this status. Their discography alone cements their place on top a hundred times over.

What stops kpop or pop from being a hit with mature audiences? Teenage fans are cool but an audience that works for a living has more disposable income. Perhaps at that age their priorities shift idk. Plenty of older working people ikw listen to 80's 90's music. Perhaps it has to do with their teenage years so does Mainstream pop have a chance as the current generation ages?

Desbundar

• i mean from what i see on the forums a fat percentage of the kpop stans are adults

• Really? But I think twitter and instagram are populated with really really young users that like kpop.

Also what is with jaemins eyes in your sig? Is this from their mv??

yeah idk why they did that lol

its in their mv, yes ^^

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Wasn't it a bit more expansive during 2g? Idols used to rule the charts so it was more than just teens listening to their music and from surveys and polls a good portion of older people (30-40) at least knew of idol groups. I remember on Invincible Youth they went to some small villages full of old people and they knew SNSD and their songs.

• BTS

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And outside of Korea the amount adult armys is much bigger than any other groups, who do you think buys all the albums and merch and Hyundais?

• BTS

External Content twitter.com

And outside of Korea the amount adult armys is much bigger than any other groups, who do you think buys all the albums and merch and Hyundais?

No doubt about bts tho. I mentioned it in the op. They have grown far beyond probably any kpop group.

Desbundar

• Wasn't it more expansive during 2g? Idols used to rule the charts so it was more than just teens listening to their music and from surveys and polls a good portion of older people (30-40) at least knew of idol groups. I remember on Invincible Youth they went to some small villages full of old people and they knew SNSD and their songs.

Yeah but kpop as a genre is far from mainstream in any gen tho.

Desbundar

• I'm not sure if it's ever possible, especially in the US. This is because most adults have a bias against boy groups. That's why I think k-pop will never be able to truly become mainstream in my country. The issue is that people don't give k-pop a chance, not realizing that there are many different genres within the term k-pop. I'm a firm believer that there's something for everyone.

• I think we need to ask why adults who used to be teen fans abandon it.. they gave it once a chance so why outgrew it and not other music genres

Another point that doesn’t get brought a lot is how much online shaming adult kpop fans get across sns it is very nice here on akp but not anywhere else.. the hostility drive ppl away altho not as strong reason as others but something to think about

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• Official Post

what pop artists in the world have widest audience & demograph? i wonder Ed Sheeran?

Adele too and arguably Taylor.

I think the difference that they don't make music that most people think is 'real music'. Idols like IU and BTS are known to make music by themselves(which 90% of KPOP can't do or aren't allowed to do). The same reason why people like Ariana and Justin aren't really appreciated outside of the teen/20s demographic compared to people like Taylor/Adele/Ed, they can't really write or produce alot of their songs(Ariana has improved in this regard though) and their music is considered pop which isn't really a genre for respected artists.

• In my opinion, it is similar to kids music like Baby Shark. You eventually outgrow it because a catchy beat and repetitive lyrics just won't cut it anymore. Sure they will always be fun but as you get older you are more likely to listen to music that are more relatable and evoke a more personal experience. You have less time to waste so you want to enjoy what you make time for. Being able to engage the audiences emotions, intellect, and desires is what makes TV, movies, books, and music popular.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!