[BTS CONTENT] AKP ARMY, what are your thoughts about this 2014 blog about failed US market attempts

• The OP had some important points. Could have rephrased it in a less harsh tone but I still agree with majority of what they said. You need the music to carry you in the West, when people bop their heads while driving listening to their spotify, they are not listening to your faces. No one cares how pretty you look or how talented you are if your music ain't slapping

Right there are so many artist in America that get multiple hits that arent convetntially attractive at all but make great music.

I sometimes wonder if someone like them could ever be popular in Korea.

• You need the music to carry you in the West, when people bop their heads while driving listening to their spotify, they are not listening to your faces. No one cares how pretty you look or how talented you are if your music ain't slapping

See, I don't think this is true at all.

I think maybe, initially, you might need a breakout song to get noticed, but after that you can coast on your fame. And it seems like you can coast much longer in the west than you can in Korea, which seems to have a much more fickle public.

I think the premise that western music has more effort put into it than k-pop (which might put more effort into dance or other visual aspects) doesn't hold true. At least, from my subjective viewpoint, I can't see a qualitative difference. K-pop seems more homogenous, but then that's inevitable because it's only a small part of the broader Korean music scene.

• See, I don't think this is true at all.

I think maybe, initially, you might need a breakout song to get noticed, but after that you can coast on your fame. And it seems like you can coast much longer in the west than you can in Korea, which seems to have a much more fickle public.

I think the premise that western music has more effort put into it than k-pop (which might put more effort into dance or other visual aspects) doesn't hold true. At least, from my subjective viewpoint, I can't see a qualitative difference. K-pop seems more homogenous, but then that's inevitable because it's only a small part of the broader Korean music scene.

Every Big Act coasts when they have established a name for themselves. Kpop has never been about music so I doubt acts not being able to coast for much longer has something to do with public sentiments when kpop groups just wanna use kpop as a stepping stone for better opportunities. And as far as I know Koreans usually drops you because of bad image, not necessarily your music. On top of that kpop is not popular in Korea so you cannot compare the scene in Korea to the dominant pop scene in the West.

"I think the premise that western music has more effort put into it than k-pop (which might put more effort into dance or other visual aspects) doesn't hold true"

Another day on akp where users believe kpop is that deep thinking music genre that should be taken seriously. I will admit there are some acts out there doing something different with their music but majority is still low tier. The fact that kpop is barely acknowledged at KMA should clue you in on how Korean industry experts and music critics see it. It is seen as "kids bop with cringe lyrics and lacks individuality" and why it still does not hold much appeal to both Korean gp and the West as a whole. Imagine thinking disney music should be taken seriously

• Every Big Act coasts when they have established a name for themselves. Kpop has never been about music so I doubt acts not being able to coast for much longer has something to do with public sentiments when kpop groups just wanna use kpop as a stepping stone for better opportunities. And as far as I know Koreans usually drops you because of bad image, not necessarily your music. On top of that kpop is not popular in Korea so you cannot compare the scene in Korea to the dominant pop scene in the West.

"I think the premise that western music has more effort put into it than k-pop (which might put more effort into dance or other visual aspects) doesn't hold true"

Another day on akp where users believe kpop is that deep thinking music genre that should be taken seriously. I will admit there are some acts out there doing something different with their music but majority is still low tier. The fact that kpop is barely acknowledged at KMA should clue you in on how Korean industry experts and music critics see it. It is seen as "kids bop with cringe lyrics and lacks individuality" and why it still does not hold much appeal to both Korean gp and the West as a whole. Imagine thinking disney music should be taken seriously

But most popular Western music is... On the same level. The only real exceptions I can think of is Kendrick Lamar and The 1975.

I don't see a qualitative difference between Arianna Grande and Blackpink.

The KMA thing is such a weird comparison because there is no real western equivalent outside of something like the Mercury Prize. But I assure you, top forty pop music in the West isn't taken particularly seriously by most critics either. In fact it wasn't taken seriously at all until the 10s.

• Op just spitting facts. I agree. :thumbup:

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• But most popular Western music is... On the same level. The only real exceptions I can think of is Kendrick Lamar and The 1975.

I don't see a qualitative difference between Arianna Grande and Blackpink.

The KMA thing is such a weird comparison because there is no real western equivalent outside of something like the Mercury Prize. But I assure you, top forty pop music in the West isn't taken particularly seriously by most critics either. In fact it wasn't taken seriously at all until the 1

You forget the difference between Ariana and BP. One actually takes part in majority of her discography and has more critical acclaim for her releases, scoring nominations at the grammy but I don't see BP scoring at KMA. You should not compare the two. Ariana has also released bops for many years and has established her name in the music industry. I wonder if you even understand the story behind her releasing her latest album Positions or did you write her off as another western act with no substance :rolleyes1:

• The KMA thing is such a weird comparison because there is no real western equivalent outside of something like the Mercury Prize. But I assure you, top forty pop music in the West isn't taken particularly seriously by most critics either. In fact it wasn't taken seriously at all until the 10s.

The Grammy still award their least popular music genres so i think it is a fair comparison.

You cannot assure me anything. You are making an opinion and you are not an industry insider so spare me the "dude trust me" speeches

• Ftr, though, I do take Disney music seriously, and idol music, and any sort of music. Even if it is a product to be consumed, its meant to appeal to our emotions or be relatable in some way. Usually someone put some amount of heart into it. Music is art and there is no such thing as high art or low art, we're in a post-Warhol era.

• Official Post

Ftr, though, I do take Disney music seriously, and idol music, and any sort of music. Even if it is a product to be consumed, its meant to appeal to our emotions or be relatable in some way. Usually someone put some amount of heart into it. Music is art and there is no such thing as high art or low art, we're in a post-Warhol era.

What does FTR stand for? For the...

• The Grammy still award their least popular music genres so i think it is a fair comparison.

You cannot assure me anything. You are making an opinion and you are not an industry insider so spare me the "dude trust me" speeches

How many Grammys did Pet Sounds win? Bitches Brew? In A Silent Way? Are You Experienced? In the Court of the Crimson King? Marquee Moon? Daydream Nation? Loveless? Spiderland? Illmatic?

Ignoring post career awards, how many did Ornette Coalman win? Curtis Mayfield? Sam Cooke? Velvet Underground? Black Sabbath? Otis Redding?

Britney Spears got one though!!

The Grammys do not represent critical opinion. Clearly.

That's why Pet Sounds, which never got a nomination, is regarded as one of the best albums ever made to this day, and God Only Knows continues to be used in media... Meanwhile I can't even remember the name of the Frank Sinatra album that won in its stead... Despite just looking it up three minutes ago.

Edited once, last by tenfour ().

• You forget the difference between Ariana and BP. One actually takes part in majority of her discography and has more critical acclaim for her releases, scoring nominations at the grammy but I don't see BP scoring at KMA. You should not compare the two. Ariana has also released bops for many years and has established her name in the music industry. I wonder if you even understand the story behind her releasing her latest album Positions or did you write her off as another western act with no substance :rolleyes1:

I thought we were talking about the actual quality of the music, not who wrote it. It is, sure, a difference between those particular artists, but not between, say Stray Kids and Ariana.

As for critical acclaim, lol, all I'm gonna say is come back to me in fifteen years and we'll see how much people still talk about Thank U Next.

Or 1989 for that matter.

You know what album they will talk about though? The one that 1989 beat.

Funny that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!