Do you guys think there is hope for the new generation boy groups?

• Their relevancy is different than the second or third generation groups’ one. Their fanbase is international and some boy groups are already pulling huge physical sales.

Yes the fanbase international now but still they're not that good at international streaming platforms either

Even after billboards introduced global 200 and excluding US charts groups aren't charting as expected.

• 4th gen boygroups are making more unconventional & experimental music so i understand why korean gp is not interested in them, but even groups that make songs that are gp friendly or favorable to much wider demographic (not just teen) are flopping in korea soi guess koreans are generally not interested in kpop music not checking them out.

Experimental is a way to phrase it I guess. And you are right the people have just lost interest in idol music altogether. This year we are seeing a rise of older songs in fact and even with that right now the charts are dominated by just the same big acts who always dominate.

• I agree with what they said though. Newer groups focused on international market's performance on Billboard global and excl. global formed the basis of my statement when I said the global audience isn't interested in kpop as a genre but only a certain few acts.

• There is one thing that'll never make sense to me regarding bg stats. Rarely is the streaming/charting in Korea or international is proportional to their album sales. The fandom power is not shown in music consumption. Only few bgs have both. U don't need gp to show consumption.

Just look at some trot singers and see their streams on Korean platforms. Its huge and fandom driven. Even izone was a fandom driven group and show consumption.

These bgs don't have great international streaming or charting stats either for claiming to have international fanbase.

Previous generation boy groups showed consumption too. These newer ones' don't make sense to me. Even when the charts were lesser stricter you could see the fandom movement. The fans were there and it showed. But now it seems that the fans are there...but they are also not there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!