Whats worse for purchasing CDs? The Korean way or the Japanese way?

• Which one do you consider worse for massbuying of CDs? 5

1. The Korean way (0) 0%
    2. The Japanese way (0) 0%
    3. both lead to overconsumption and I dislike bulk buying of unnessesary things (5) 100%

Korean way:

Each album comes in 1 or more versions but you get told that there are 2 or more sets of photocards and other goods in the album and you get told you might only have a chance on having 2 photocards and 1 goodie in the album while there are 20 different photocards and 10 different goods you could collect. They also sell a collecters edition ocasionaly that includes posters, more photocards, other merchendise

Japanese way:

either: The artist will release 5 new songs, however there will be 3 versions of the album that means the first 2 versions have the same 3 songs but 1 other song as a 4th song. The 3rd version includes all 5 songs and a bonus DVD of the musicvideo with a behind the scenes video of how they filmed the MV. For photocards you can only colect 1 set. There are 6 photocards to collect in total and you already get 2 of them in your album

or: To let you enter a handshake event, you have to collect a specific pass, that you only find in a few of the albums, delusional fans really want to have this card. Sure there is just this 1 version of the album and no goodies included other than the entrance to a fanmeeting, but some people would die for having that small card that alows them to see their faves.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I personally dislike owning a lot of things, but I'm trying to think of a solution that is not just "it should only be jewel cases at most". Maybe a standard edition (jewel case) and a deluxe edition with inclusions like Proof (BTS) did? But since CDs are from a bygone era, maybe Digipack as standard and CD+inclusions as deluxe makes more sense.

I also think member editions are valid to have a demand for, although imo that already tips into excess. If there are member editions the inclusions should only be of that member + group, because I've seen that's not always the case.

But no retailer exclusive photocards, fanmeet lottery through buying, incomplete photocard sets etc. but that's wishful thinking. It makes sense why these strategies are used, even if I don't like them.

I think Taylor Swift and Beyoncé (cmiiw) have started to release album/vinyl versions with a different extra track like the "Japanese way" you mentioned. I'm not sure if it's a new strategy, your post just reminded me of it.

• With the Japanese way, each store will also have its own exclusive format, meaning there could be 10 or 11 different CD formats- one for each store chain- and all have different features and goodies. The CDs are also expensive though, so generally there may not be as many sold. I think the Korean way is better for international fans because you get more for your money, regardless of version.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!