Personally, I think kpop is starting to losing their popularity SEA

• It used to be really mainstream here, at least in my country. You will see school kids covering the dance everywhere and the popular groups' songs will be everywhere. I never miss their cb because of this. But for these past few years, I feel like my stuck in the 2nd and 3rd gen eras. In the radio and malls, if they play kpop songs, it will always come from those older groups. Again, I never missed Bts or Bp cb because of this. The only 4th gen songs I heard this year on my local radio station and most places are cupid and newjeans songs. The other new songs are only flower and bts solo songs especially seven. The younger kids that I know mostly only know Bp and Bts when I ask them about kpop.

I am probably the only one that feels this, but I certainly feel like in a few more years, kpop will start to be non-mainstream again in my country. My local people know Bts and Bp members' names yet still think that every bg or gg is them. We still have a lot of kpop fans here stanning the new generation groups but kpop really feel and look not that popular anymore like before in my country.

• Bang PD agrees with you, he said about a year ago that Kpop is declining or has plateaued in SEA and needs to find newer markets to grow.

Hybe seems to be looking elsewhere while YG is bringing in more talent from SEA and opening up SEA sub-labels.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• same in my country but the locals here consume our local music more than kpop anyway.

the 2 biggest kpop groups remain BTS and Black Pink and i don't think it will change much in the next 5-10 years. those 2 groups just have massive fandoms/engagements and there's a big gap with the rest.

• it could be that you're getting older.. ?

the numbers show that this year was the strongest for kpop in ALL areas, including SEA.

but..there are more groups and competition - it sure isnt like the old days when it was just 3-6 groups you followed. the 4th gen really blew up in terms of number of groups and diversity .

but.. that's what the 2nd gen said about 3rd gen..

and what 1st gen said about 2nd gen .. and etc.

i remember talking to someone from vietnam like 5 yrs ago who said kpop was dying there but that never happened and kpop kept growing bigger and bigger there - * but they were 2nd gen fans witnessing their decline and rising of 3rd/4th gen.... so, i think that contributed to that perception.

Edited once, last by lahel ().

• Not in my country tho. I'm a teacher, and kpop still thriving among kids with them talking about 4th gen groups and wearing their merchs on daily basis. Since covid ended i can say kpop is getting bigger, the more kpop groups coming to my country, from top group to nugu with sold out concert. Kpop noraebang is also current new trend with hundreds attendees every week.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!