[theqoo] MICHELLE YEOH CHEERING FOR THE LADIES AT THE OSCARS... THE REASON WHY SBS EDITED THE WORD 'LADIES'?

• AVvXsEh988iXKYwh9pztWFUsZjFgLsQJ0k1eDZEsLaN2BlU7mXJ6ryv3FabYr18seCipV1FmPzsl4oiqr3-RGh2AcV9u3QzwC6NOYTwGJ3EZXKWgT0VEYLqoD0tOUZDVjeCR4BJJbA65Khu1HIypwp7oGn9Q-vxTvMuJwbo_2qiidZl6aWNKxpRTQ7gtceNr=s16000

AVvXsEhJkrsW2ahWD9s7lRsEFeZIeXPMTnkJcfyru99vkruLVNGTS-CnLdnvZT3UPzLePdho19WI_PCM27MyvG7i48T-bymmDdpJSuge43EsCTNLGw_HaI6cVGp487MkKGM5ootYcKO-PonTgfx_-9SL_dSiiU7MXK-g-USvQJmQUJs5Kwrkx8t2yPR0zWES=s16000

AVvXsEjnAPADQeXlDnJvgAen5bsjaKouOVeLgcIeNI1Zrs1CMlx2hs9GyI4KTKBahl88dyFtm50P9wHin0ulUdyc4ytVtWm0EHuWC7cFXe90hZtvwogfWCIsauquBGq7pDc78dh_6Lejn0mRCC97iXMUf7Rv0dhn5vzrtkjcCbSxGjv91v0FAqCO5S_Lrx2s=s16000

AVvXsEj5gKjRpv0bmKWADxVm_W7J0Ka6xfFWbukhi_dz1l_PfEUMzV1ntQ24RECmEgZpxuRNEN6kQKpM1dwmrPfVrLWcdJMDzBaOZ4qzDRFCHS2Hxy6LhsGAMzMIuyVFbGa5y0XXO_2nCDg8ucIm38KFM4i0u-e43BdckKsDEw4YpqsLb2DyMyDCDmcSQArL=s16000

SBS responded to the backlash it created by censoring Michelle Yeoh‘s acceptance speech at the 95th Academy Award.

At the 2023 Oscars (also known as the 95th Academy Awards), Michelle Yeoh made history as the first Asian woman to win “Best Actress.”

Michelle Yeoh delivered an inspiring acceptance speech aimed at Asians and women everywhere, to dream big and to never allow anyone to count you out.

"For all the little boys and girls who look like me watching tonight. This is a beacon of hope and possibilities. This is proof [to] dream big, and [that] dreams do come true. And ladies, don’t let anyone tell you you are ever past your prime. Never give up."

The actress’s stirring acceptance speech was covered by all three of Korea’s major news networks, KBS, MBC, and SBS. Controversy erupted, however, when SBS decided to censor Michelle Yeoh’s speech. In SBS’s coverage, the speech is edited to exclude the part in which the actress addresses women.

On March 14, SBS responded to the controversy and released a statement explaining why they chose to edit the speech in the fashion that they did. According to SBS, they edited out Michelle Yeoh’s speech because they felt that the speech wasn’t exclusively for women.

"We excluded the word because we felt that the message, ‘Don’t let anyone tell you you are ever past your prime,’ wasn’t exclusive to women."
    CR: Korea boo

And ladies, don't let anybody tell you you're ever past your prime. Never give up

And ladies

A . n . d ladies !!!!!!!!!!!!!

original post: here

1. Why the censorship? Why??? I'm honestly asking because I'm curious. Are they gonna be in trouble because women receive some ccheering? I wanna know

2. Huh? So they are just translating her winning speech the way they want? They are doing such unnecessary things

3. They are already editing an award speech so imagine how they deliver news that don't fit their agenda

4. Who cares about what you guys think, how can the media be about what they think?

5. Are they really a news outlet?ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

6. Why would they put their own personal opinion in a translation??? Anyone can tell that those words were for womenㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ are they men??

7. Seriously disgraceful

8. Are they the ones who won? What the? They are not even not reporting the news but are just editing it the way they want and can't even acknowledge their mistake?

9. This is straight up distortion of the facts

10. ...? So broadcast stations cannot talk about women...?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• unnecessarily petty

cant women cheer on other women now?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm not surprised. There are men in Korean society that are deeply misogynist. I watched the Korean documentary series called In the Name of God: A Holy Betrayal and it's is sooooooooooooooooo disturbing and really gives insight about how deeply misogynist Korean society can be.

Legit warning: This series is not for the faint of heart or sensitive viewers: it is scary, beyond disturbing, vomit inducing, and I had to really take breaks in between each episodes. The series is about 4 religious cults in Korea and in each case, there were sexual crimes and so many women victims.

• Wow, that sounds really intense. It's so sad to hear about the misogyny and abuse that some women in Korean society have to go through, I just can't believe it happens in our 21st century. It's important that we continue to shed light on these issues and work towards creating a safer and more equal society for everyone. I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been to watch that documentary series. Stay strong, sisters, all I can claim now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!