Languages are hard guys

• I just watched a video of someone from the US reacting to how to pronounce " CH " in German words and he had no idea and so he imagined how they would do it before he reacted to the video and he did it in a way, it was even worse than when you would say it in Swiss German ... I thought than myself how do we even pronounce " CH " and realised it is way harder to imagine the sound when you have no entire word where it's used in

My brain than decided to think of the sound like if you would speak Chinese lmfao but it depends on the words you have the sound in

It's seriously just way harder to imagine things when you don't have the entire word. I mean stuff like for example CK, ST, SP, IE, PH, UE, and so on ... are depending on what language you use it in, what word it is used in and if there are any rules you have to follow when speaking a written word and its actually more complicated than you think of and it even gets hard when you think of your own language without having an entire word for stuff like those parts ...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• LOL English is hard, and I bet it's really hard for learners.

Like you know how "tough, dough, rough, cough" etc. exist? Yeah... :cryingr:

But for German it can also be quit hard when words have thousands of meanings for different things so some people learning might not get it. Example "Feuer" (Fire): Feuer und Flame -> Being very passionated and excited for something, Feurig -> Spicy, jemanden Feuer unterm Hintern machen -> encourage someone ( mostly for lazy/slow people like "Hey, hurry up or you will regret when you come to late to school! Don't you hear me? Hurry up I said!" or "You have 30 minutes left to finish this work, it would be a shame if you can't finish in time!") another example is same word, different object: Bank -> either the bank you go to for your money or just a bench to sit on, but also some people say "bank" to the thing you lie on in the gym when you do weight lifting, wich we call "Bankdrücken" (bank = bench, drücken = squish/suqeez/push in this acase)

Than there are English words who were changed a small bit to fit into the German language as for example: Chill -> Chillen, Relax -> Relaxen, Push -> Pushen, etc. Than we have English words used in a different direction

We also have words who are originaly English but used in a quit different way. Example if someone would ask you to watch a "public viewing" together, it doesn't mean you go to someone's funeral. Public viewing means you go to a public space, maybe a bar or somewhere in a city where there is a TV or a large screen and many random people watch a sports event together (mostly stuff like the soccer world cup). Another example word would be "handy". It's not a handy object or something you do is handy, but it's your mobile phone. If someone talks about their "handy" they actually mean their mobile phone "Mein erstes Handy hatte ich mit 11 zu Weihnachten bekommen" (I got my first mobile phone for christmas when I was 11 years old)

Misspelling words is also quit something you have in many languages, but its sometimes even hard for people who think they are fluently in writing with a few words. I just recently had the issue that I had no idea how to spell "zuzusenden" and googled if it was "zu zu senden" or "zu zu senden" and so on, but I also see a lot mistakes were people don't know that the word is written as "tu" and many accidantly write it as "tue" or "tuh"

Also we have words who explain something by combining words "Milchverpackungsverschluss" ( Milk carton closure) and so on ... we have also words with can be super long cause of this, even tho the most words in German not that long

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I believe the thing with the ch is that people think German sounds a lot harsher than it actually does (thanks Hollywood!) so they end up doing this weird, over the top retching sound, like they're struggling to cough up a particularly large hairball. Which, while impressive, is more Gollum than German.

• As someone who had to learn English as a child to the point where it became my native language, I agree - all the rules and exceptions in English is really difficult. Whereas in Asian languages, it's more of if your tongue can do the different tones and sounds. Although Thai has 4 tones, I still have a hard time with Mandarin tones. Also, German is HARD. I lived there for three years and tried to learn and didn't get very far because of the pronounciation hahahah but really, I was also learning English at the same time then.

• very true

children learn everything fast

Yeah that makes sense.

As a child, you don't know what the world is like so you kind of just soak up everything that you are taught. Even if they're not all objective (facts) stuff. Maybe subjective (opinionated) lessons from your parents.

And also, scaring children is a great learning tool :pepe-annoy:

For example, that one story where every time the girl lied, her body would change or something. Like she would have purple spots on her tongue or something like that. That freaked me out. I still lied to get myself out of bad situations but I rarely did that lmao

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• Yeah that makes sense.

As a child, you don't know what the world is like so you kind of just soak up everything that you are taught. Even if they're not all objective (facts) stuff. Maybe subjective (opinionated) lessons from your parents.

And also, scaring children is a great learning tool :pepe-annoy:

For example, that one story where every time the girl lied, her body would change or something. Like she would have purple spots on her tongue or something like that. That freaked me out. I still lied to get myself out of bad situations but I rarely did that lmao

just no lying to your father!!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!