i'm excited about the future of girl groups when the stigma about body shapes is finally broken. i can't even imagine how insane the choreography they come up with is gonna be. probably make current artists look like they all have two left feet

• :pepelove1: take some love to calm dowm. :pepelove2:

• :pepelove1: take some love to calm dowm. :pepelove2:

Being obese also doesn't equal overall health in most cases. It is case by case basis. Personally I have PCOS, and while that's all I really have, my body can't lose weight easily. I would hate for someone to think that about me (oh wait people already do) for something that is hormonally out of my control.

That being said though - there is a fine line here as everyone has a different body - everyone's chemical makeup is different. Some overweight people are healthier than skinny people it just depends. So I definitely see what you're getting at here - but for people like me the answer is not that simple, I'm afraid.

• Being obese also doesn't equal overall health in most cases. It is case by case basis. Personally I have PCOS, and while that's all I really have, my body can't lose weight easily. I would hate for someone to think that about me (oh wait people already do) for something that is hormonally out of my control.

That being said though - there is a fine line here as everyone has a different body - everyone's chemical makeup is different. Some overweight people are healthier than skinny people it just depends. So I definitely see what you're getting at here - but for people like me the answer is not that simple, I'm afraid.

Yes, I totally wish I would have prefaced that before going on my rant. I understand that as my sister has a thyroid condition that makes her gain weight without her control and makes it hard for her to lose weight. I didn't want it to seem like I was being rude or not understanding that you can be healthy if you are overweight and being skinny doesn't equal healthy.

• Yes, I totally wish I would have prefaced that before going on my rant. I understand that as my sister has a thyroid condition that makes her gain weight without her control and makes it hard for her to lose weight. I didn't want it to seem like I was being rude or not understanding that you can be healthy if you are overweight and being skinny doesn't equal healthy.

I didn't really get the vibe from you that you were being like that - just something to point out and piggyback off of your statement. It's hard not being able to control these things. ; ; my family has a history of thyroid issues, so I really feel for your sister <3

• The problem with girl groups and body image is that so much of their sales/choreo/modeling/etc are based on T&A. Go watch the choreo for a BP or TWICE vid, it's fairly reductive. Most girl groups don't do modern dance (or for that matter any complex dance that's not about highlighting their "assets"), because part of the sales appeal is about titillation (that was not meant to be a pun, but may have inadvertently turned out to be one). Look at their costumes for more evidence.

Don't hold your breath for Korea getting away from the "super-skinny girl group idol" trope, America has barely gotten away from it even. You don't see Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande gaining weight for a reason, they get social criticism when they do.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!