What's the definition of a company stan?

• 1)stans everything that comes out of the company

2)defends the company with their soul and is a shooter for the ceo

3) praises anything the company does

all three conditions must be satisfied to be labels as a company stan

• It's mostly the last I think these days? But all definitions seem to work!

Seems like the original meaning was just someone who tended to like groups from the same company - like I like BigHit production, concepts and music a lot, so I have a big bias towards their groups. That can be true of SM, YG, etc. Pretty simple.

These days tho' it's often used in the trenches of fanwars both in and outside fandoms, where it's used as an insult to suggest someone is defending an agency blindly and is just a company bootlicker. Tiresome, but as ppl don't want to be seen that way it can be effective like you said.

• It's mostly the last I think these days? But all definitions seem to work!

Seems like the original meaning was just someone who tended to like groups from the same company - like I like BigHit production, concepts and music a lot, so I have a big bias towards their groups. That can be true of SM, YG, etc. Pretty simple.

These days tho' it's often used in the trenches of fanwars both in and outside fandoms, where it's used as an insult to suggest someone is defending an agency blindly and is just a company bootlicker. Tiresome, but as ppl don't want to be seen that way it can be effective like you said.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, I think the original definition of company stan doesn't actually suggest anything horrible, it's well noted that companies tend to have a signature sound. SM has always had similarities within their groups, and it has even specifically been said that the song could have gone to another artist. YG, JYP, and also have similar traits.

As for the bootlicker, I'm sure there are some of them, however it's just so rude to suggest, and it's so taboo in kpop, that it's lost all meaning and sorta becomes a basic insult if you want to ignore what the other person is saying/write them off. It's a really good if you aren't great at arguing/don't know what to say, as literally everyone hates it, not just a couple of fandoms.

• 1)stans everything that comes out of the company

2)defends the company with their soul and is a shooter for the ceo

3) praises anything the company does

all three conditions must be satisfied to be labels as a company stan

Funny enough, pretty much all of the figureheads of the companies aren't CEO's, so I wonder. All except YG currently have a lot of influence tho, so the company stan would probably say that they aren't a CEO, they don't do anything, why are you so mean and rude :(

• In the past it was the person who stans all artist from one company which is usually from so called Big3.

I think it evolved to a person that stans those companies.... which is weird .

• Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, I think the original definition of company stan doesn't actually suggest anything horrible, it's well noted that companies tend to have a signature sound. SM has always had similarities within their groups, and it has even specifically been said that the song could have gone to another artist. YG, JYP, and also have similar traits.

As for the bootlicker, I'm sure there are some of them, however it's just so rude to suggest, and it's so taboo in kpop, that it's lost all meaning and sorta becomes a basic insult if you want to ignore what the other person is saying/write them off. It's a really good if you aren't great at arguing/don't know what to say, as literally everyone hates it, not just a couple of fandoms.

Agreed! It's kinda a lowest common denominator insult now bc it paints the person as someone who cares more about the company than the individual idols, and tries to shut down the conversation.

I think it's gotten to the point where it's even become shameful for many to admit they like a house style because of the connotation? (Despite it being completely natural bc of that signature sound you mention)

• I think it's gotten to the point where it's even become shameful for many to admit they like a house style because of the connotation? (Despite it being completely natural bc of that signature sound you mention)

Groups from companies sounding the same is now an insult, as seen by the recent shinee and nct threads. Tbf, it's used as an insult. While there is differences and similarities, you will find more in common within the music from the same company than with a random group. I think that it's alright too, a company will trust and prefer to work with certain artists.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!