Sometimes I don't like the "friends to lovers" trope

• I'm talking mostly, when it is "straight girl and straight boy are friends, and then they become lovers."

Because it sometimes it makes it look like girls and boys can't be just friends. And if they are friends, then they might become more than that one day.

And I also I feel like I see it a bit too much. I remember reading a book and thinking "Not this thing again", when I saw two friends falling in love.

And sometimes in fiction when a girl and a boy are just friends, they get shipped by the fandom. I know it doesn't just happen in girl/boy friendships. Heck, even when two members of a kpop boygroup are just friends, fans ship them and write fanfics about them. (okay, I have written seongjoong fanfics before)

Well... I don't always dislike that trope, sometimes I do like the trope.

And sometimes I write fanfics and short stories like that.

The thing I do like about "Friends to lovers" is that these two like each other, I mean as in: They like each other as friends and then it develops into them being more than that.

It is maybe a bit more realistic.

I know two people personally who were friends and then dated. (They broke up though)

I think I sometimes prefer that over "enemies to lovers".

Even though I have seen many kdramas with enemies to lovers (so I'm not that bothered by it). But I have also seen "friends to lovers" in it, or at least where it is like "The second lead is actually the female lead's friend and secretly has feelings for her."

I think I also prefer it over "insta-love"

Or at least that thing that is like "Two people just met and fall in love"

Because I find it a bit unrealistic.

Even though I enjoyed a fanfic that had this thing, and I was reading one chapter thinking "Dude, you two just met and you are already kissing?" (but at least, I was entertained by this)

And then there is also another trope I like, which is what I call "enemies to friends"

Where two people don't like each other at first but then they become friends, but it doesn't develop into romance.

I liked this thing when I was reading the Skip Beat! manga. (I haven't read all of the volumes though...) I think Kyoko and Kanae count as this trope.

I don't know why I like that trope.

This thread is random, and I ended up rambling.

And well... I'm not an expert on friendships.

• I suggest to watch

Soundtrack #1 kdrama if you haven't seen it

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm curious what you will think about it

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!