[TW miscarriage] Author of amazing webtoon Roxana forced to work so much that she suffered a miscarriage, and was forced to work through it has just found the woman who bullied her is on break due to her own pregnancy

• Roxana – Manga – Manhwa Read Free!

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is like, one of the only webtoons I've read in the past 10 years so reading all about this has been surreal, this is insane, it's abuse and I'm horrified for the author

Whole thread:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I found out about this because it's trending on theqoo

Short summary/explanation

Not just that, but this person wanted to change the actual story and the artist wanted to honor the novel writer and keep up with the plot, the PD was trying to get them to change the main couple (allegedly into incest, wtf) even though 99.9 percent of the fandom ships the main couple and was putting immense pressure on the artist to change it up for her and treating her horribly because she fought for the original material to be honored

Knetz are on her side, international fans are on her side

She's still suffering from health issues

I'm really glad this is trending because the platform is forcing her to do work for season 2 and her health is really bad and failing, not to mention her mental health

these platforms treat their authors so horribly, they force them to pump out new content fast and everybody's hands and backs are ruined, on top of their mental health

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

Edited once, last by Pinky_Peachy ().

• interesting

I'm wondering if she could have said "no" and the ramifications from saying no?

Knowing webtoon contracts and the issue all authors have with these huge platforms, I'm thinking no. I've seen cases where the artists were threatened with or even slapped with lawsuits. Their contracts are horrible and they often make them sign them when they're young starving artists and put immense pressure of them. Some who complained were even blacklisted.

mKl7Ghm.png

• holy shit

And knetz were wondering why the birth rate is crashing in Korea

You treat pregnant women like they are a defect with no rights

External Content www.youtube.com

• Knowing webtoon contracts and the issue all authors have with these huge platforms, I'm thinking no. I've seen cases where the artists were threatened with or even slapped with lawsuits. Their contracts are horrible and they often make them sign them when they're young starving artists and put immense pressure of them. Some who complained were even blacklisted.

interesting I'm not in the know of these webtoons or whatever but from what you're saying all the power is in the hands of the "producers/platform" owners???? and the artists are basically like gig workers without much rights or benefits (since it seems they certainly aren't employees)

• interesting I'm not in the know of these webtoons or whatever but from what you're saying all the power is in the hands of the "producers/platform" owners???? and the artists are basically like gig workers without much rights or benefits (since it seems they certainly aren't employees)

Their contracts are basically those old idol contracts that SM had with their artists lol, they're underpaid for their own work and the monopoly is on the platforms/publishers so nobody can turn a profit unless they're working for them because they don't have anywhere else to post. That's why some of them try to make it on Patreon etc when their contracts expire.

holy shit

And knetz were wondering why the birth rate is crashing in Korea

You treat pregnant women like they are a defect with no rights

The worst part is treating the creative force that's making you all this money like dirt under your nails because she can't keep working tirelessly and make you even more money faster but then going on vacay and maternity leave to rest yourself when you yourself get pregnant

mKl7Ghm.png

• Their contracts are basically those old idol contracts that SM had with their artists lol, they're underpaid for their own work and the monopoly is on the platforms/publishers so nobody can turn a profit unless they're working for them because they don't have anywhere else to post. That's why some of them try to make it on Patreon etc when their contracts expire.

The worst part is treating the creative force that's making you all this money like dirt under your nails because she can't keep working tirelessly and make you even more money faster but then going on vacay and maternity leave to rest yourself when you yourself get pregnant

ahhh and I guess there are no laws designed to regulate these types of abuses of power either? I would like to see what's in these contracts (just as I would like to see what's in some kpop contracts lol)

• ahhh and I guess there are no laws designed to regulate these types of abuses of power either? I would like to see what's in these contracts (just as I would like to see what's in some kpop contracts lol)

Probably not yet, but there should be. They are absolutely destroying these artists.

mKl7Ghm.png

• a small side story (kind of)

something that I learned after watching Today's Webtoon kdrama

Webtoon's should be released (official premiere) only when at least half of story is already drawn/written

+ my own thoughts:

- webtoons should have seasons too, which would allow artists to take much needed breaks

External Content www.youtube.com

• Yes and yes!

mKl7Ghm.png

• Probably not yet, but there should be. They are absolutely destroying these artists.

is there anything that the average person or the average artist can do to protect themselves or are they at the whims of the platforms?

like can they unionise? strike? quit? anything like that in SK?

• is there anything that the average person or the average artist can do to protect themselves or are they at the whims of the platforms?

like can they unionise? strike? quit? anything like that in SK?

They really should unionize but I'm unsure to be honest, I don't know enough to answer that, sorry!

mKl7Ghm.png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!