[Pitchfork] The Kpop Girl Group New Jeans offers a remarkably strong debut

• NewJeans are a Y2K-inspired five-member girl group masterminded by Min Hee-jin, the music exec and creative director behind the branding of some of K-pop’s best acts (f(x), Red Velvet). Under her direction, NewJeans’ launch has been the most elaborate campaign in K-pop this year. Every song on their self-titled EP comes with music videos, with one track boasting four. The label has even made a custom phone app where you can play games and interact with each member of the group.

Such ambition also translates to the music, a plush and stylish collection of ’90s and ’00s-indebted R&B with production from two risk-taking figures in the Korean underground: Jinsu Park of the experimental rap duo XXX, and 250, a producer who embarked on a years-long journey to craft a contemporary version of traditional Korean trot. The EP’s most interesting selection is “Cookie,” a weightless groove about courting a crush. Whimsical synths, faint 808s, and wobbling low end create bubbly momentum, grounded by members’ sly and elongated delivery of the titular “cookie.”

The bridge finds a simple, elegant detour by way of Jersey club. “Cookie” ditches the oft-sampled bed squeak and focuses on the beat; the only other K-pop single to feature such direct homage is XUM’s “DDALALA.” The sudden inclusion of this rapid stuttering extends the song’s cutesy schoolyard demeanor into hopscotching ebullience. “I want to ruin your diet,” they sing, following up with ad-libs to further assert their dominance. The best K-pop songs have always transformed their acculturations into a site for stylistic adventurousness, and “Cookie” does so gracefully. It's a remarkably strong showing, even based on the high standards Min has set.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Article Source

• doki-doki

Changed the title of the thread from “[Pitchfork] The Kpop Girl Group offers a remarkably strong debut” to “[Pitchfork] The Kpop Girl Group New Jeans offers a remarkably strong debut”.
  • I love cookie. The music and the dance was so cool. I like to think the lyrics as what they said, a simple song from a girl to a boy for cookies that she bake. Because in the end they say something like you can get cavity or something to that effect. And I sure don’t know any double entendre for cavity lol.

• Honestly attention is their only good song

Attention is their best.

but I love all of their songs, lowkey indie r&b songs that are easy to listen too.

Sometimes I think Kpop songs are too abrupt and have too much going on so it’s hard to enjoy it.

Just my opinion though, I respect yours and you appreciating Attention

• Does pitchfork review kpop regularly?

:whatr:

Also still curious about who this group's main producer is. I see they mentioned Jinsu Park and 250 here

• Does pitchfork review kpop regularly?

:whatr:

Also still curious about who this group's main producer is. I see they mentioned Jinsu Park and 250 here

Hopefully its more of the 250 flavour going forward, because he worked on Attention and Hype Boy and is probably brings the more eclectic RnB side out with the EP.

I've been playing his new album a lot since discovering it, it's not everyone's cup of tea but its great IMO

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Also

Pitchfork has an iffy record with Kpop, it's like anything they do: super hit and miss outside of the mainstream pop/hip hop/indie stuff they usually cover. Super random as to which releases they'll cover

That said, I remember back in like 2014 coming across this list they made (way back before I was into Kpop) and remembering them recommending stuff like SHINee, f(x), Orange Caramel and Beast

• facts :minnie-hug:

if i’m being completely honest, i much prefer it when kpop artists i follow release literally no filler song in their smaller minis (like 3-4 songs tops per album) like this rather than release a huge full album but at least half of it consists of songs I don’t like lol. It reduces burn out for the artist, raises the quality of their overall discography, and honestly reduces costs for them too since even single albums sell very well nowadays lol you don’t need to make only full albums to make money, so why waste your budget for more mediocre songs when the revenue doesn’t increase proportionately.

Also there are just so many artists to choose from and i myself don’t have the time to listen to so many songs from them all AND actually let them marinate and fully appreciate them, so i much prefer it when i have the space to enjoy every song they release like this. One can only take in so many new songs at once without feeling full and fatigued lol

Edited once, last by Whi ().

• if i’m being completely honest, i much prefer it when artists i follow release literally no filler song in their smaller minis (like 3-4 songs tops per album) like this rather than release a huge full album but at least half of it consists of songs I don’t like lol. It reduces burn out for the artist, raises the quality of their overall discography, and honestly reduces costs for them too since even single albums sell very well nowadays lol you don’t need to make only full albums to make money, so why waste your budget for more mediocre songs when the revenue doesn’t increase proportionately.

Also there are just so many artists to choose from and i myself don’t have the time to listen to so many songs from them all AND actually let them marinate and fully appreciate them, so i much prefer it when i have the space to enjoy every song they release like this. One can only take in so many new songs at once without feeling full and nauseous lol

fully agree with everything you say!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!