About fans not listening to their faves' music

• Please can someone explain the logic behind this to me?

Why is it so difficult to understand that when it comes to streams and views, casual listeners and the general public are the ones that make the difference?

I won't name the groups who get this thrown at them all the time because everyone knows who they're. My point is, it's not that their fans don't listen to their music, it's that their fans are THE ONLY ones that listen to their music. They don't have a casual following or general public interest, thus the relatively low streams and views.

I can't believe this has to be explained.

Approved the thread.
  • But they sell 2M+ copies of albums, where are their fans? Or are they all massive bulk buyers?

• Yeah, people think kpop groups have high streams cause of mass streaming and while that’s a part of it the real thing is having a casual fanbase.

That’s why nct and svt struggle with charting and streams internationally, big fanbase but their causal listeners aren’t so big

• yes, gp/casual listeners give some numbers to groups but you're fooling yourself if you think it makes the difference. Fans are the ones who get the high numbers by their continuous streaming. the fanbases that have high numbers are the ones with fans that stream the most, the ones with low numbers are the fanbases who don't stream as much. That's what the difference is.

• sm stans have deluded themselves believing having huge sales in physicals is the way to prove they are at the top. None of their groups except for RV has songs over 200m in spotify rn, that is now the bare minimum standard for actual top groups and big hits

• There is different between you listening your favs and streaming.

Add filler songs, make sure you add non K-pop music, make sure you act natural and skip random songs if you don’t have premium, make sure to stop every now again or rewind a song as if you would do naturally, make sure to use an overnight playlist, makes sure to have more then 50% volume on… annoying.

Not everyone can be bothered. I would rather enjoy my favs music and not make a playlist where the title track is every third song just so it can chart here and there. I make a playlist with my favorite songs from them and not get bored of it after a week.

But I do get the album and I will buy more then one because I do want to pull my bias’s photo card.

:pepe-just-smile:

You all just want to drag the groups and call them fake but it’s simply not everyone streams. Streaming takes time and effort, fans have life outside of K-pop, school, work.

Plus look at YouTube and all those fake fans who buy and do album unboxing just so they can get more subscribers. Don’t tell me they stream songs from every artist that they “stan”. “This have been their fan since…” No you watch their mv, use the album as a decoration so that the stupid fans will subscribe to your channel and fangirl over reacting stupid videos.

:pepe-cringe:

• sm stans have deluded themselves believing having huge sales in physicals is the way to prove they are at the top. None of their groups except for RV has songs over 200m in spotify rn, that is now the bare minimum standard for actual top groups and big hits

EXO’s Love Shot passed 200 million streams back in January. It’s now at 230.

:pepe-toilet:

• Nct just keep selling out all their dome tours and keep selling millions while kpoppies stay mad

How is that the bare minimum when only BTS and BP have several songs over 200m lmao i can assure you none of the other top groups have even 1 song over that mark with the exception of maybe twice, exo and rv

• No one really asked for an any theoretical explanation lol but if we are dropping theories then it makes more sense the fandom's dedication, casual listeners don't really get engaged and won't listen constantly as fans.

• it appears for some that fandom itself don’t even listen since streams are horrendous judging by their sales

• Has there ever been a research or survey what the ratio between fans and casuals is in the views or streams of kpop songs? Would be interesting.

I think there's a difference between streams in Korea and internationally. In Korea non-kpop fans and the public play a larger role in listening to kpop songs, while internationally streams and views are mostly carried by kpop fans, stans and casuals alike.

The public or non-kpop fans are practically a non-factor when it comes to international k-pop streams.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!