let's talk about the normalization of ableism among kpop stans

• alright now before y'all tell me im overreacting or i shouldn't talk about this, I'm hard of hearing. I have mild-moderate bilateral hearing loss, and I wear hearing aids. I can't speak for anyone else's experience, so feel free to share your perspective if you're disabled. Alright now let's get into it. some of y'alls behavior has been absolutely sick lately and it needs to be addressed. I've seen people say an opinion about an artist, and to discredit that opinion, stans will say 'you must be deaf, blind, or stupid if you think...' or 'are you deaf? this sounds nothing like...' No matter how much you disagree with the opinion, how biased you think it is, and how much you think they're talking out of their ass, it's never okay to imply that these disabilities correlate with intelligence or that being disabled makes you less than or to use disabilities as an insult for people whose opinions you don't like. Just why would you call someone deaf in order to mock them? It's so messed up and I feel like y'all don't realize how messed up it is. it's not okay because you're literally associating disabilities with unintelligence as if disabled people don't know how to act and communicate properly and be rational human beings. As if disabled people don't enjoy kpop like abled people. y'all are literally perpetuating the same offensive 'deaf and dumb' stereotypes that gets Deaf people discriminated against. Just come up with a different fucking word instead of using deaf as your token insult.

Damn... I’ve honestly never thought about it this way. I feel really guilty about this because I’ve probably been ableist thousands of times. I’m not gonna give any excuses and I must take responsibility for my actions. I never meant my words in such away but nonetheless I should’ve educated myself. Thanks for making this post, I have never thought about it from this perspective. My sincere apologies, I’ll continue to educate myself.

Edit: I’d never use the r-word but I’m guilty of “blind/deaf”.

• Thank you for coming forward with this issue and shedding light to this situation which has been occurring for a long time. You are right and valid for your concern. Many kpop fans use many different types of ableist language daily. Also the use of the "r" word has been a problem in this forum as well. We should all be careful on how we express our opinions next time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!