So what was Jonestown really?

• Ves if you're going to be sensitive and find any thin af reason to shut down a thread that even mentions your faves in less than positive light, you shouldn't be a mod.

And if you're so delusional that you're rewriting history, you DEFINITELY don't need to be on this site period.

Jim Jones targeted distressed black people so that he could prop himself up as a White Savior figure. He saw them as lesser than and used them for money and free labor. It doesn't matter if he was for integration, it was just one of his many obvious manipulation tactics. Wtf kinda person are you?

He was a racist and you're embarrassing

• spill

• Jim Jones targeted distressed black people so that he could prop himself up as a White Savior figure. He saw them as lesser than and used them for money and free labor. It doesn't matter if he was for integration, it was just one of his many obvious manipulation tactics. Wtf kinda person are you?

He was a racist and you're embarrassing

word :!:

• Official Post

Not a racist one no matter how much you want to try and bring that up. I have actually studied Jonestown and Jim Jones and while he had his flaws, the history books will be on my side about this. The forum rules state that anything claimed as fact has to be proved - I can give you many many sources from PBS to Encyclopedia Brittanica backing up my assertion. But this isn't the place for a discussion like that. This is the Ask-A-staff thread. Thank you!

• Not a racist one no matter how much you want to try and bring that up. I have actually studied Jonestown and Jim Jones and while he had his flaws, the history books will be on my side about this. The forum rules state that anything claimed as fact has to be proved - I can give you many many sources from PBS to Encyclopedia Brittanica backing up my assertion. But this isn't the place for a discussion like that. This is the Ask-A-staff thread. Thank you!

"While he had his flaws" bruh he abused and killed several hundred black people! What Kool-aid are you drinking

He was a racist. His actions clearly show he was.

You don't care about the truth of that thread, you jumped on that thread because of Suga. Imagine defending a mass murdering racist over kpop

• Official Post

"While he had his flaws" bruh he abused and killed several hundred black people! What Kool-aid are you drinking

You don't care about the truth of that thread, you jumped on that thread because of Suga. Imagine defending a mass murdering racist over kpop

Ironic that you are talking about kool-aid. I've been saying this for a long time actually. That thread I closed was definitely trying to to stir shit and I corrected a long held fallacy. Sorry, but perhaps if you bothered to do some research, you'd understand.

• Babybluehun0327 Golden_Wishes

your posts have been removed, this is not a thread for quarrelling, please use the DM function from now on, you can DM any staff and we will hear you out, but this thread isn't the place for it.

I did!!! That’s the problem. They just doubled down like they did here. It didn’t solve anything.

You all are ignoring blatant racism from your fellow staff and for what? Stanning kpop members? I’m so frustrated. Anti-black racism should not be coming straight from mods.

ღ Sulli

• I did!!! That’s the problem. They just doubled down like they did here. It didn’t solve anything.

You all are ignoring blatant racism from your fellow staff and for what? Stanning kpop members? I’m so frustrated. Anti-black racism should not be coming straight from mods.

i just want to say this is really gross of you to do. saying a public figure did not have or spread outwardly racist ideologies, which is documented in literature like ves showed proof of, is not racist. i can't help but think you guys are using racism as a way to cry wolf against a mod you don't like and this behavior should not be acceptable on this website. i haven't seen either of you call out or go this hard about the actual anti-blackness from users on this site every day, especially from your fellow blinks. but here you are crying crocodile tears over a thread being closed that deserved to be closed? transparent.

mods, im just wondering if there is actual punishment that can be given to people who spread exaggerated claims about other users, because this is borderline defamation and we can all see that. if not i feel like that would be a valid rule to discuss/add.

who's your favorite artist?

• I did!!! That’s the problem. They just doubled down like they did here. It didn’t solve anything.

Please educate yourselves and I'm black saying this btw...

Jim Jones was evil but he was not a racist. He shockingly started off as a decent human being...then began doing fake healings and it escalated from there. He got so many followers from the black community because they were vulnerable due to racial tensions at the time. He was big on equality and had white people and black people interacting in his church which attracted them. Did he take advantage of them and their situation? Absolutely.

He was a mentally disturbed scammer that was money hungry and manipulated a lot of vulnerable people (many black) in order to feed his greed.

• Official Post

It’s fine. I’m going to take a break from this website. It’s obvious AKP isn’t welcoming to black people. ✌🏾

Could you pls provide proof of articles that explicitly call him a racist? Here's an article about Jim Jones:

https://wearyourvoicemag.com/jim-jones-white-liberal/

Some quotes from said article:

Black people were integral to Jim Jones’ ambitions. Without black followers, and black causes to encourage and support, Jones might have ended up pastoring a tiny Methodist congregation in backwater Indiana, largely frustrated and entirely unknown” (273)

Jeff Guin, The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple

"Jones established a church where you “get something now,” using his place of privilege to help Black people navigate situations where anti-Black discrimination kept them from obtaining basic necessities. He encouraged the Black members he helped to tell the congregation and other Black families about what he had done for them, about how he helped them to get something now, and how he could do more for them than Black churches and Black ministers could. Poor Black people were better off following him, praising him, being indebted to him, belonging to him."

This man didn't target black people because he hated them, he wanted their money and wanted to be adored by them as any cult leader wants. It was easy to recruit black people because of the many injustices they faced during this time which is why he went after them.

I'm black btw before you start.

• Official Post

Guys, while I think if we want to really discuss Jonestown, it is a worthy discussion to have, it should not be in the Ask-a-Staff thread. I am going to take these posts and place them in a thread in the Lounge. Wish me luck, never tried this before! Please contain discussion to the new thread that will be made.

• For those interested in learning more in a less boring way feel free to check out this vid!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Also Ves is more mixed than a salad and part black so stop it with this slander. Correcting y'all narrative isn't racist.

• i just want to say this is really gross of you to do. saying a public figure did not have or spread outwardly racist ideologies, which is documented in literature like ves showed proof of, is not racist. i can't help but think you guys are using racism as a way to cry wolf against a mod you don't like and this behavior should not be acceptable on this website. i haven't seen either of you call out or go this hard about the actual anti-blackness from users on this site every day, especially from your fellow blinks. but here you are crying crocodile tears over a thread being closed that deserved to be closed? transparent.

mods, im just wondering if there is actual punishment that can be given to people who spread exaggerated claims about other users, because this is borderline defamation and we can all see that. if not i feel like that would be a valid rule to discuss/add.

Disgusting as usual

• Disgusting as usual

look in a mirror, hon. it was a blink that even blew the jim jones sample issue up in the first place and purposefully manipulated the feelings of black kpop stans during the height of the blm movement by specifically tying it to race like it wasn't enough to just say jim jones was a cult leader/mass murderer. that speaks louder than anything. and so does trying to insinuate someone is "disgusting" for calling you and your other little friend on your bs. stop hiding behind racism to hate and trivializing black pain for fanwars. its fcking ugly.

y'all hate facts and its just embarrassing. worry about actual anti-blackness.

• aclassyteaparty you wanting to turn this into fandom war already shows how bottom of the barrel you are but to tell us we're using race to be hateful is the absolute lowest. How far will you go in your quest to be a perpetual victim?

Whenever I'm on this site, I call out anti-blackness as I see it and I've seen Bluehun do the same. I'm not on this site 24/7 like u and if it's so bad, take it up with the mods you're shooting for and trying bootlick into getting people banned. It's not my job.

Quite frankly, you're everything I hate about K-pop fans and their mindless worship of their faves and fandom. I'm not engaging with you, not that you even have anything substantial to say besides mud slinging

This had nothing to do with you, leave it alone

• Official Post

Ves  aclassyteaparty  dryheat  ZestyMochi

If you’re that confident that Jim Jones wasn’t racist, post these thoughts on LSA. It’s a majority African-American forum.

Spoiler alert: they will drag you because Jim Jones was racist.

Lmao not you bringing LSA into this when they believe all kpop idols are racist, yes even your faves and believe its foolish for black people to even like kpop. Who gives af what they think especially when some of their thoughts can problematic as well.

Let's talk about how kpop stans are the one who made a non issue into one. Lil Uzi Vert had the following lyric in his song: "Made a cult following like Jim Jones". His album recieve an 8.4 from pitchfork and is generally well received and critically acclaimed meaning people read that lyric and found no issue with it. Post Malone had a song names "Jones Town" and again no one said anything. Maybe because simply referencing a person isn't that big of a deal. Yoongi isn't condoning or endorsing Jim Jones. By your logic is it okay for tv shows and movies to reference this guy and put his speeches in their works? Is it only a problem when its put in music?

• what do you expect when its a bunch of blinks targeting an army mod they are known to dislike over something like this that was squashed a literal year ago.

just because a user- who happens to be a blink, wanted to call out a mod- who happens to be an army, doesn't make it into whatever weird fandom thing you want to make it into.

what does make it a fandom thing is all the armys jumping in within seconds... enough said.

• Ves  aclassyteaparty  dryheat  ZestyMochi

If you’re that confident that Jim Jones wasn’t racist, post these thoughts on LSA. It’s a majority African-American forum.

Spoiler alert: they will drag you because Jim Jones was racist.

im going to take a different approach since this is like speaking to a brick wall. what does it actually change if jim jones had or exhibited outwardly racist ideologies outside of taking advantage of systematic racism?

1. that thread still deserved to be locked and i know you're not going to pretend like it should have been open regardless of the reason for closure

2. this issue is a year old, an apology was issued, the sample was removed, yoongi did not physically put it in himself so i know you're not pretending like yoongi is some intentionally racist asshole for this "scandal".

3. using controversial samples, subjects, and topics in art is widely practiced and accepted. both lil uzi vert and post molone have "sampled" jim jones specifically. so i know you're not trying to make a point that having controversial subjects in your art means you hold the view point of that subject. or that its inherently morally wrong.

so what is your actual purpose with this discussion other than trying to gang up on ves? i REALLY want to know. what does it change if he was outwardly racist or not?

• Lmao not you bringing LSA into this when they believe all kpop idols are racist, yes even your faves and believe its foolish for black people to even like kpop. Who gives af what they think especially when some of their thoughts can problematic as well.

Let's talk about how kpop stans are the one who made a non issue into one. Lil Uzi Vert had the following lyric in his song: "Made a cult following like Jim Jones". His album recieve an 8.4 from pitchfork and is generally well received and critically acclaimed meaning people read that lyric and found no issue with it. Post Malone had a song names "Jones Town" and again no one said anything. Maybe because simply referencing a person isn't that big of a deal. Yoongi isn't condoning or endorsing Jim Jones. By your logic is it okay for tv shows and movies to reference this guy and put his speeches in their works? Is it only a problem when its put in music?

I was upset by Ves lying about what really happened with Jim Jones. Ves was acting like Jim Jones was a savior to black people, when in reality, he manipulated and abused them to attain power.

I got into this because of that, not BTS. About the controversy though, if you apologize and own up to your mistakes, I forgive and move on. Big Hit and SUGA both did that so it’s water under the bridge for me. I don’t think SUGA is racist.

Edit: aclassyteaparty You should see this too. My post had nothing to do with BTS. I was just mad at what Ves said specifically about Jim Jones.

ღ Sulli

• I'm pretty sure we all agree that Jim Jones was a terrible human being. Nobody here is defending him. We can all agree on that.

Where we disagree is the motive of his actions. Motive is important when looking at crimes. He used certain tactics to lure black people in to advance his agenda, but his agenda had nothing to do with black people specifically. His goal was to manipulate as many people as possible regardless of race.

It's inaccurate to call someone anti-black for pointing out that: He was an evil man, but race was not part of his agenda.

Many of his sermons are specifically directed to and address black people in America. He touted himself as a savior and made it his mission to recruit black people above anyone else.

He lured in people of all races but black people were undoubtedly his primary targets

• just because a user- who happens to be a blink, wanted to call out a mod- who happens to be an army, doesn't make it into whatever weird fandom thing you want to make it into.

what does make it a fandom thing is all the armys jumping in within seconds... enough said.

your sig :eek:

• you're honestly sick lol. im not turning this into a fandom war by stating what literally happened. saying "a blink did this" is a fact. saying you and your cronies are blinks is a fact. and i see you completely ignored the point about manipulating black stan's feelings so i rest my case.

i think its crazy that you think you know me from a few posts. its also just so small minded to say that someone is a "mindless worshiper" just bc they don't agree with you on something. i have a brain. i formed my opinion based on what i believe in. i can't say the same for you tho bc you'd rather just follow whatever the sheep on twitter and in your group chats parrot about this issue instead of actually listening to an opposing argument in any capacity. typical of your kind.

and you really have the audacity to bring up mud slinging after calling me "disgusting as usual" in your original post? pls grow up.

idk where i ever victimized myself. thats more like what you're all doing, crying antiblackness over a mod closing a thread... you're just silly.

• Official Post

I was upset by Ves lying about what really happened with Jim Jones. Ves was acting like Jim Jones was a savior to black people, when in reality, he manipulated and abused them to attain power.

I got into this because of that, not BTS. About the controversy though, if you apologize and own up to your mistakes, I forgive and move on. Big Hit and SUGA both did that so it’s water under the bridge for me. I don’t think SUGA is racist.

Edit: aclassyteaparty You should see this too. My post had nothing to do with BTS. I was just mad at what Ves said specifically about Jim Jones.

I said he wasn't racist. I never said he was a savior. Why are you putting words in my mouth? Everyone can see exactly what I said.

• I typed my comment before I ever even saw your 2nd round of bullshit but ill address that too: I don't care.

And as for all you're saying in this 3rd round: I really don't care.

Stop fighting and derailing this thread.

If you have nothing to say, which you clearly don't, just stop

• I said he wasn't racist. I never said he was a savior. Why are you putting words in my mouth? Everyone can see exactly what I said.

You posted that “he was a vocal proponent of racial integration” therefore he isn’t racist.

What you didn’t mention (probably on purpose) was that he did this to lure in followers who were in need of help. He specifically targeted black people. 70% of the 900 people who died were black.

Anyways, since you keep doubling down, I really think you should post your Jim Jones thoughts on LSA. Maybe a bunch of AAs will help you understand since you don’t care what anyone has to say here.

ღ Sulli

• Official Post

just because a user- who happens to be a blink, wanted to call out a mod- who happens to be an army, doesn't make it into whatever weird fandom thing you want to make it into.

Weren't blinks doing the same in the Ask a Mod Thread? A lot of you all jumped in the thread to say your piece right?

• Jim Jones was anti black. Manipulating hundreds of black people and using their generational trauma to build a cult only to kill them off is inherently anti black. Stop acting like he didn’t take advantage of black people’s suffering

• Official Post

Can we stop mentioning idols and fandoms?

Y'all are trying to make this into a fanwar and it's gross

Ironic that this posts comes from you whose first post to me on this matter was:

Ves if you're going to be sensitive and find any thin af reason to shut down a thread that even mentions your faves in less than positive light, you shouldn't be a mod.

You're trying to shame people when you've done the exact same thing? It's gross by your own judgement.

• I think mods should be careful before posting and liking stuff. Y'all are posting and liking stuff targetting fandoms so how can we trust you to be unbiased while moderating?

• I was upset by Ves lying about what really happened with Jim Jones. Ves was acting like Jim Jones was a savior to black people, when in reality, he manipulated and abused them to attain power.

i mean at the end of the day what ves said was not entirely false or pulled out of her ass. she provided her source. the fact of the matter is, jim jones was not documented as having any specifically racist outward ideologies. he took advantage of black people, he took advantage of systematic racism, he was a horrible person. but i just dont see why the simple statement of " he wasn't racist" became an all out war.

and maybe its really just the semantics of it all. people can do things that are perceived as racist and not be consciously racist. many people feed into systematic racism but don't truly believe black people to be "lesser than". thats just my opinion tho.

anyway maybe this became a huge misunderstanding. but all i know is i saw you calling ves racist over this and that was entirely out of pocket and not true. this discussion started out uncordial because of that claim and the aggressiveness only spiraled

• Official Post

You posted that “he was a vocal proponent of racial integration” therefore he isn’t racist.

What you didn’t mention (probably on purpose) was that he did this to lure in followers who were in need of help. He specifically targeted black people. 70% of the 900 people who died were black.

Anyways, since you keep doubling down, I really think you should post your Jim Jones thoughts on LSA. Maybe a bunch of AAs will help you understand since you don’t care what anyone has to say here.

That was a screenshot from the Encyclopedia Brittanica, not my own words. Are you kidding, you're calling me racist because you mistook a screenshot for words I said????

• This thread contains 34 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!