Posts by sonemariam

since when has kpop ever been all about vocals. For that matter, since when has pop music ever been about vocals. Plenty of super successful pop music artists are okay-ish at best at singing and still extremely successful, why? cause pop stardom is about the full package, looks, performance, vocal tone, songs, an image. Look at 1D, nobody could dance to save their life, 3 could sing well to okay, the other 2 were also there, yet a super successful act. The same goes for kpop groups.

I think OP is talking about idols executing their singing duty as they should regardless of how weak or strong their vocals are.

A singer should sing if they debut as singers period.

Most of idols spent most of their trainees period learning to dancing and then after debut they practice... more dancing

Your premise is wrong. Singing is not their primary job, and has been that way for at least 15 years

Maybe you are right, but, why don't some idols only dance and leave the singing to those with vocals roles?

Also, why do they debut as singers anyway? Why don't they debut as performer dancers only?

Idols' main job is confusing to understand.

I expected nothing less from them actually

On side note (i might be roasted for saying this) but surprisingly Winter is much more stable than Ningning at high notes. Ningning slays when she sings ballad but when come to belting adlibs, seems like Winter is more powerful and consistent (Ningning missed some of the too Spicy notes). Probably this is the reason why Winter is given more adlibs than Ningning while ningning get most lines in ballad/slower songs

I think Winter in Aespa is like Jessica was in Snsd. Both being very unique vocalists with distinctively strong but delicate vocals.

half the shit these people say on the net they would never attempt to say to someone's face. Everyone is some keyboard activist warrior who acts like perfect virgin angels Over a computer. That's why I, for the most part follow artists only and stay away from the toxicity these people bring. It amazes me how they behave.

A positive thing is that despite not knowing a lack of Korean or Japanese I found something to be excited over to live for to look forward to. Whether I understand or not the music brings me immense joy and happiness having some of the songs in english makes it that much more enjoyable. Kpop led me to jpop and other genres and I just feel so much joy introducing both new friend and old friends to music I enjoy. I love discovering new things. So not everything is bad.

I learned that I don't have to understand something to enjoy it.

I agree. I don't care much about lyrics or learning Korean, instead, I enjoy the music as it comes and only look at the lyrics of the songs I want. In a way, I don't want Kpop to own or define me, I just want to have fun and still be myself.

It has taught me not to take it seriously. It's just music, not a way of life.

Also, not to take any notice of fans opinions as they are just that.

If anything, in recent years, it has taught me to grow up and prioritise what's important in life.

Same here. To me Kpop is a fantasy because it's based off of lies from lots of manufactured beauty to fake personas etc. Idols can't be human or real most of the time, they have to act a certain way to get noticed and get longevity which I think is ok and it helps me keep true to myself.

The part of arguing with people I see it more on the internet than in real life. The lack of extraverbal language in internet is a sureway to drag on conversations than wont last two lines in real life.

Strange but true.

There are lots of surprisingly awful and unbelievable things about Kpop and I think that contributes a lot to it's growth.

There are many things that I didn't know about music before I got into Kpop.

1. Bad vocals. I mostly listened to the vocal trinity of all time (Celine, Mariah and Whitney) so I didn't care how weak some vocalists are. Right now, I know that J-Lo, Madona, Rihanna, Taylor Swift etc have some of the weakest vocals ever all thanks to Kpop.

2. Style and technique were never a thing to me, all I cared about were good vocals. But, Jessica and Taeyeon introduced me to that and now I can easily tell a stylistic or strong technique vocalist just by listening.

Why are vocals not that big of a deal among fans in Western music?

3. I had used the internet for ages before I got into kpop but I learnt how it can be toxic first-hand only after I became a kpop stan, seeing how idols are attacked and learning how to defend your favs etc. I had never experienced a stranger passionately attacking me online forcing a fight back. Honestly, this was very interesting. I've learned so much about mental health from being a kpop fan.