Posts by erighter

Also, most of the artists who can pull 30M+ streams every week wouldn't even come close to filling up a stadium. It's very telling of which songs are shoved down consumers throats by labels.

Well stay is being blocked by both g4u and levitating's radio. And yes it's real popularity is not being shown either. But once radio kicks in more stay will overcome both.

It's obvious billboard weights sales way too much. This is not the first or the last time stans have used sales to manipulate charts. Keeps on happening. First thing they should do is make it one copy per person for website sales.

Honestly I still find fans buying music much more organic than streaming playlisting and radio pay for play. Weighing down sales basically discourages active consumption as a whole.

Billboard clearly has a different method of calculating units. Also, g4u was ahead of stay on the last hot 100 update (because of its massive radio points), why aren't you complaining about that?

The radio part is true, they barely play songs that are the most popular, some are not even known.

I was literally talking about songs that are only charting because of radio, even though they have terrible streams and sales, earlier in the thread but I guess that was ignored since it didn't fit into their narrative of radio measuring "popularity".

Almost every song in the top 10 would have their points cut in half without radio. I'd much rather have sales driven hits pushed by consumers than radio hits pushed by labels.

Are they as successful as Dyna, Butter or PTD, outside Korea, are Non-Koreans particularly Westerners buying, streaming those songs?

Please present evidence

Map of the Soul: 7 sold over 4.8M copies in 2020 and has over 3 billion streams on spotify, BE has sold over 3.6M copies and has almost 2 billion streams on spotify (Dynamite is literally a song on BE). Map of the Soul: 7 also debuted with 347k pure sales and 422k units in the US, and was even the best selling album of 2020 in the U.S. in terms of physical sales. Map of the Soul: 7 reached #1 in 21 countries as well, including the top 5 music markets in the world.

I am not sure why you are responding referencing an English song, when my question is whether BTS greatness can get international audience admire their korean songs?

I'd say that Map of the Soul: 7 being the #1 most successful album of 2020 and BE being the #4 most successful album of 2020, both Korean albums, proves that they can get an international audience to admire their Korean music.

K-pop is solely supported by K-pop fans in the West, even for BTS. There's no GP in the West, only in Korea. Only Dynamite broke out of the K-pop-sphere.

BTS just has a really high fan conversion rate, people who are considered "GP" listen to them and become fans. Most of these fans don't cross over to other groups (although a minority do), as evidenced by BTS' dominance in the west.

Sure, but that's yet another distraction from the premise of the post, like the radio play discussion going on.

But to indulge you, let me rephrase, will ANY of BTS' future Korean language releases, achieve the success of their English language releases among the Western and international general public, and establish that they have achieved a level of greatness that transcends language/cultural boundaries?

It's impossible to tell unless it actually happens, it's possible but I can't say for certain whether they will or won't. Regardless, I'd argue that the success of their albums both in and out the west transcends language or cultural boundaries.

It really boils down to this: would you rather have consumers influencing the charts by buying music, or would you rather have labels influencing the charts by paying for their songs to be played on radio and put at the top of every streaming playlist? Personally I'd pick the option driven by consumers.

Expecting every song to do as good as your best performing song or better than the last song released is not logical imo. Michael Jackson had a career of more than 25 years after 'Thriller' - his best selling album and song. Eminem is still as legendary as he was in 2010s.

There are many factors that affect the success of the songs. BTS next song will and can do as good as 'Permission to Dance' did. Now it depends on you how you take it. Their albums have always done great.

That's true, the success of albums is far more valuable and a better indicator of growth in popularity. For example, the singles on Map of the Soul: 7 were not all that successful compared to earlier albums, but the album itself is their best selling album to date.

I mean streams are purely active also.

I would agree with sales if it wasnt website sales.

I would agree to a revenue chart which I think would be the most accurate at least.

Streams are mostly active, but not entirely due to curated playlists existing. Website sales are still active consumption too, you are still paying to listen to a song.

Sales are not indicative at all and are generally irrelevant and need to be weighed down more honestly.

Its the streaming era.

Sales are the only form of consumption that is purely active. When you buy a song, you are searching for it and paying money to listen to it, and a sale is more valuable than a stream since it makes more money per transaction. Even streaming is partly passive consumption since songs can be forced down your throat in the major curated playlists. Radio shouldn't even count for the chart since consumers can't control what they listen to.

True but also means that radio or listeners enjoy the song but to have high peaks you normally just need good streaming and a little radio. BTS have the downloads which no-one else really has.

Anyways I dont think a Korean song will ever touch Dynamite which was way bigger then Butter.

Tbh I personally don't think radio is a valid chart metric anyway, it doesn't serve much purpose other than being a medium that labels can throw money into to help their chart positions. Sales and streams are much more indicative of popularity since both are driven by active consumption. As for the second point, I agree. Dynamite was a smash hit worldwide, it will probably remain as their biggest and most recognizable song throughout their career.

The answer is no. Even disregarding radio, their Korean songs don't get the same support on the major playlists of streaming platforms like spotify, youtube, apple music, etc. They can still be successful though, Boy With Luv did well on youtube and spotify even compared to english songs from western artists. Their albums, on the other hand, will continue to break records whether they are in Korean or English.

Callouts still show quite alot though if you get good callouts chances are very high for radio to play it.

Labels can use like soft power to force them to play it at the start but later on they wont.

Taylor Swift is a example her songs had terrible callouts and were dropped pretty fast.

There are also songs on the hot 100 that are charting solely because of radio, their sales and streams are abysmal. A good example of this is POV by Ariana Grande, at that point good callouts don't mean much if it isn't being consumed anywhere else besides radio.