Posts by sanas-armpits

Twice's average sales in Japan are down by around 200-250k in the space of around 18 months. They barely sell 100k per release now. They've alienated the fanbase and have driven away the old fans whilst not giving them any chance to grow with new ones which is why the numbers are as they are.

They've cannibalised any future growth for them in Japan by debuting Nizi who hit the same market/demographic but are much better promoted and have resources beyond anything Twice have (and will) ever had in Japan.

Nizi are the group for JYPE in Japan now. With one single last year they basically sold as much as all 4 of Twice's Japanese physical releases combined in the same year. Twice will just be there to tour when things open up as they are a legacy act at this point. They haven't grown in stature in Japan for a while.

Hmm, that may be true. I watched NiziU’s recent video and they give me very 2017 Twice vibes.

I think JYPE’s plan was probably to transition Twice gradually to a more mature concept a la SNSD, and to have NiziU fill that space left behind by cutesy Twice. The problem it seems is that Twice’s newer songs don’t seem to be catching on like their old hits did.

I dunno, I just feel like JYPE has no idea about how to give their girl groups long, successful careers. It feels like their ggs just blow up out of the gate and then instead of building hype they get put on an endless treadmill of comebacks

I think kpop fans tend to downplay BTS’ hits because they don’t have that one song that defined them. You know what I mean?

Boy With Luv did amazingly, but BTS was already the top group beforehand so it doesn’t seem like it impacted their career all that much.

It’s not like a Gee/Growl/Cheer Up situation where that one hit immediately placed them as the top group of the moment. Instead, BTS has a steady stream of hits that build on each other.

Anyway, it’s one of my favorite kpop songs and its success is deserved.

Umm, have you heard other boy groups' title tracks? :pepenomad:

I'm kidding, but only a little bit. As a general kpop fan who likes melodies, choruses and catchy vocals, 90% of recent boy groups don't do it for me. And I'm willing to bet a lot of Korean casual listeners feel the same way.

Im not arguing shes not getting playlisting but its the fact armys dont admit that BTS has a industry push also and uses gimmicks.

Pretty much everyone uses gimmicks, all big artists use playlisting honestly.

Hmm but any industry “push” BTS has had has only come after years and years of proving they had demand in the West. BTS have been very popular in the U.S. since 2016 but only this past year has any of their singles got even a fraction of the support an American artist with the same popularity would receive by default.

In my opinion, they’re still not pushed as much as your average Western act. I feel like if BTS were all white American boys doing the same huge numbers, you’d hear their song on the radio every 5 minutes and you’d see them everywhere. Their play listing is still not that great.

Thank you for sharing!

I kind of get what you mean about the being seen as global stars thing. Makes a lot if sense tbh :eyes:

Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong. A significant portion of the Japanese public hate anyone/anything Korean and will never like BTS no matter what they do. But BTS' achievements still make the news in Japan, people are aware of them. If you walk around Tokyo long enough, you'll hear Dynamite playing.

I've seen Jnetz say that they used to hate anything Hallyu related but Dynamite changed their mind, so who knows. BTS are experts at creating fans I guess.

Wish we had some J armys to let us know how they are coming across there

I just lurk on Japanese sites, but I've noticed that Dynamite has boosted BTS' recognition with the Japanese GP a whole lot. Like, it's done way better than their Japanese singles in terms of streaming, radio play, downloads etc.

I think the fact that Dynamite is a) in English and b) went #1 on the Hot100 has a lot to do with it. BTS' global popularity puts them in a different category as compared to other kpop acts. It's kinda hard to explain, but I think the Japanese GP views a lot of kpop groups with skepticism that they're just in Japan to make a quick buck with poorly made remakes of their Korean tracks. Obviously, there are exceptions like Twice, Kara, DBSK etc

Anyway, I think Japan has started to view BTS as just ~global pop stars~ who don't really need an explanation for being popular, same as Western pop stars who are popular in Japan. Since Dynamite is in English, the Japanese listeners can't complain about hearing Japanese sung in a Korean accent. I do think that makes a difference, as we can see with Butter vs Film Out.

My impression is that the kpop trend in Japan has died down significantly compared to where it was in the early 2010s. But BTS is still getting high engagement and interest. That's my two cents. Now lemme go lurk some more

I think most kpop fandoms are about equally obsessed with their faves' achievements. But I voted Armys because I think the huge success BTS has had pushes Armys to keep topping themselves every time.

In a way, I think Blinks and Armys match each other in their need to see their faves succeed-- the competition (esp concerning YT views) spurs them on and also gives them something to gloat about.