Korean and Bullying : Why is it such a big deal for Korean Netizen.

• You said they were afraid and did nothing out of fear. Yes, it's a weakness, there's nothing controversial, just like being brave is a strength.

Victims are kids, but so are their bullies too. There's not necessarily a power imbalance here therefore it's not that relevant. All I'm saying is there should be some solidarity between classmates. But it's a cultural thing I guess. Where I come from, bullying (to the extent of what's going on in Korea) wouldn't have happened because between classmates there was a comradeship. If parents and society don't instill this sense of comradeship in their kids, then it's doomed. As you make your bed, so you must lie on it.

Exactly. Here in Mongolia, bullying doesn't happen that much since we prefer unity. Even there is common saying "Mongolians are strong when we are united". This mentality has ingrained in our mindset since we were born. Unity is what makes weaks powerful againts strong individual & balances power. But I guess it's not same as in other countries tho.

• Exactly. Here in Mongolia, bullying doesn't happen that much since we prefer unity. Even there is common saying "Mongolians are strong when we are united". This mentality has ingrained in our mindset since we were born. Unity is what makes weaks powerful againts strong individual & balances power. But I guess it's not same as in other countries tho.

Yes, Korea just like Japan is a place where the group takes precedence over the individual. Therefore they're very united against things that affect all of them, like a natural distaster, but if only one person is concerned they left him/her to die in the gutter. Having sacrificial lambs is not a big issue if it preserves the group's status quo. They enforce the sense of fitting the mold and not standing out but even if you do, the moment you have a problem you're seen as a dead weight. There's very little solidarity to be found even though everyone is fostered to be the same.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!