if you're part korean...

• and i'm talking like more than 40% or something not .2% lmao

, you speak korean, have been to korea, you have your grandmother's binyeos, and love kr music, etc...

(BASICALLY IF YOU'RE NOT A KOREABOO AND ACTUALLY SOMEONE CULTURALLY INVOLVED)

(personally, i didn't stay long enough to really immerse)- but i wonder if in korea, being a k-pop fan...does that make you a "pop" fan or specifically a "k-pop" fan?

what i'm saying is, if you have an understanding of it, that people wouldn't think of it as korean pop, because it's their native language! and if you're someone who is bilingual it's all just "pop" right? there's no difference for you? the classifications (k, j, c) it helps in other countries/talking to foreigners but other than that, why use it?

i know american songs chart in korea but you don't hear the term "a-pop" lol

i've heard the usage of the term "pop" in korea to describe some k-pop artists, so i guess it goes both ways?

(i think it is because the implied k- part is redundant lol)

Imagine-

Korean girl somewhere in a k-drama in Korea: ah, I love k-pop...

GIRL IT'S REGULAR POP FOR YOU WHY DO YOU NEED TO CLASSIFY YOUR POP YOU'RE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY :S

this makes no sense and went off the rails but :akorns::akorns::akorns::akorns:

watch someone get triggered by this lmao even idk what the fuck i'm talking about :pepe-toast:

Edited once, last by FeLiNa ().

• I've heard Korean fans call it KPOP like in those videos about Koreans react but maybe that's because of the video? I would think they would call it KPOP too because it's pretty different from Western pop and it uses the Korean language, same with K-Drama. There are some Western pop fans in Korea too so I'm guessing they would say KPOP to differentiate the two. But, tbh, I don't know lmao

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• I've heard Korean fans call it KPOP like in those videos about Koreans react but maybe that's because of the video? I would think they would call it KPOP too because it's pretty different from Western pop and it uses the Korean language, same with K-Drama. There are some Western pop fans in Korea too so I'm guessing they would say KPOP to differentiate the two. But, tbh, I don't know lmao

i have seen that too kinda. in irl i made the assumption that (it being korean music) was implied, so i never used the term "k-pop" and neither did they? i just brought up "pop music" and they understood.

• korean americans still call it kpop, so i guess it's about living there lol

ad11ae11545c4b3eb5805a7ca39e8142ff38948a.gifvab99d7e017ed0eea8ec207a6947f397b83c72db7.gifv57fd3a357756b7d61797af68f7a3247c55a15e4b.gifvb8a3784d7d06f39831a2371942429ffec7c00416.gifvcc43450dc4b9751b6bbff4f0e97fb2f3feb6cf5c.gifv

𝘆𝘂𝗾𝗶 ♡ 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝗼 ♡ 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂, 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝗷𝗶𝗻

• Dunno if I get what you are trying to say 100%.

This happens with anime too. Japanese calls any animation anime or any comics manga (Koreans are similar in this regard with manhwa). They don't make a distinction of comics or animation from other countries. Maybe they do internally if they have otakus for foreign animation/comics, but the general public don't. If they need to specify, they will probably say the country of origin. Anime was addressed like this in the past and other terms were used like japanimation before anime took over (although anime fans adopted the term before internally).

I guess it's of a hobbyist thing when dealing with cultural assets of other countries although I don't see pop from other nations receiving the same treatment except East Asians (J-pop, C-pop, and K-pop). Maybe Southeast Asians will be thrown under similar umbrella terms as well in the future.

Still it seems like this is just with these cases. Cinephiles or the cinema press don't use this type of terminology in conversation. They may use terms for genres like giallo, but that's the closest I can think of. Dunno if they use C-movies, HK-movies, K-movies or J-movies. I've never seen it.

I have seen Koreans using K-pop in the context of addressing an international audience. Otherwise, they don't make much distinction besides saying idol or other generic terms. I never seen Koreans addressing drama like k-drama even in this specific context.

It's just a quirk of this hobby/obsession I guess.

• I noticed when I was in Japan that they do make a difference when talking about idol music (akb, etc) and general pop music, but then again it might have been to make it easier for the foreigner (aka me) to understand. No clue about Korea though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!