What's your take on this? A transgender swimmer competing in women's event?

• Still, even among women of the same race, the muscle and bone structure difference exist.

This is true but the differences between biological men and women go much further than mere muscle mass and bone density/structure. They are such that even the best women athletes in the world would never be able to beat even an average male athlete. In most cases the best women can't even beat male high-school athletes. That's just how it is.

We are equal but being equal doesn't mean we're the same.

People born as biological males don't just have greater muscle mass, but a different muscle composition, allowing for greater strength and speed. They have bigger hearts, bigger lungs, a different body shape, including differently shaped hips. It all increases their speed and overall power.

I also think that it's important to not forget about the other young women who are the competitors, because they matter too.

These girls must've trained from a very young age hoping to one day be the best in their sport. They probably trained as much as 5 days a week only to then be made to race someone who they could not reasonably be expected to beat. They must've gone into these races knowing that the best they could hope for was to be second best.

Respect is important, support is important, but it cannot come at the expense of other women. And from what I understand, college sport in the US is not like school sport in other countries. It can decide someone's future so I'm not surprised that there's a huge debate.

• They are such that even the best women athletes in the world would never be able to beat even an average male athlete.

Serena Williams, the best female tennis player in the world lost against an average ranked male tennis player and said the same thing. If people don’t want to listen to others, at least listen to those who do the sport. Most of the time those who aren’t competing are the ones who say there is no disadvantage.

Respect is important, support is important, but it cannot come at the expense of other women. And from what I understand, college sport in the US is not like school sport in other countries. It can decide someone's future so I'm not surprised that there's a huge debate.

This.

Important decisions in general shouldn’t come at the expense of anyone else. There must be another solution then.

• It's a little unfair due to her swimming before she transitioned/ transition late also doesn't help. Should we start having a only trans league in every sport so it be fair to cis people cause I hear all this complaining buy where are the actions to make it fair?

• Transwomen are not men biologically. You are wrong from the foundation.

Muscle mass correlates with the level of androgen more so the innate gender. With androgen suppression/decrease, the transwomen gradually lose their muscle mass and end with the level similar to innate ones. Neither there is significant difference between men and women in term of bone density and transwomen can be in greater risk of osteoporosis due to the scrotectomy.

Some studies are needed to verify if there is significant advantage due to different bone structure, the width of shoulder/hip etc. And, if you are to talk about the body size, sports where very such thing matters most are volleyball and basketball, where physical disparity due to ethnicity already exists.

Theoretically, there is the advantage due to lung + heart size in endurance sports. However, no study has been conduct as they are more factors than mere the size of these organs in physical stamina.

Competitors matter? What I saw in the video was her competitors acknowledging her victory with friendly handshake. Also, you forgot that she had trained since she was little too.

I believe to outright ban transwomen is oversimplified and unfair. Yet, some things have to be considered and some measures are required, how long it takes for the hormone treatment to nullify the precedent muscular advantage, what the likelihood of the transwomen permission being abused is, how prevalent transwoman athletes is in comparison to innate female athletes with irregularly higher level of androgen etc.

• They have to compete in their separate category. Even if they transitioned at a very young age, the structure of the male skeleton is more efficient for physical activity. It's not just hormones.

• They have to compete in their separate category. Even if they transitioned at a very young age, the structure of the male skeleton is more efficient for physical activity. It's not just hormones.

Then what about transmen?

• There's a biological differences that can't be ignored in sports.

There aren't "men's" and "women's" categories just for funsies. A person born with a male body will always have a physical advantage over a person born with a female body. In sports where this doesn't matter (like horseback riding) there aren't two separate categories.

The names of the two categories should probably be changed to be more inclusive and so that they reflect what's actually relevant about them. Maybe XX or XY or something, idk.

Ofc if you're just playing as a hobby this doesn't really matter but on a professional level, when were dealing with people's careers and income, the focus should be on what body you were born in.

• i believe in equality and all that jazz but when it comes to sports, i think there's a clear disparity.

imagine competing and getting constantly beaten by someone who is biologically a man and identifies as a woman, and you're biologically a woman.

that has to get frustrating, and i know swimmers are slowly starting to get more and more vocal about this, with most of them staying silent because they don't want to be labeled as bigots or transphobes.

i'm not sure what actions would be taken in the future (if any at all) to even out the playing field, but i hope it's something that makes everyone feel included whilst still being fair.

• Sport categories should be divided based biological sex not gender

Also in every sport male categories are technically open categories

everyone can participate if they qualify

Literally nothing has to be changed

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!