Soyeon's 'Beam Beam' is kind of same mistake that Jessi did with 'What type of X'

• I remember when Jessi was asked about what she expects from 'What type of X' and then she said that PSY, and other people from P Nation said to her that this song is cool but won't do well on charts. She said then that she will release song but will be disappointed if it will do bad on charts. And people were interested so of course they've checked song, but it didn't have longevity, and faded after week or two. Now what I'm pointing this out? Well because I was hoping that as Jessi had her 'Nunu Nana' the same way Soyeon will have her big smash catchy hit which will conquer charts, because she deserves it.

And overall it kind of feels the same with Soyeon's 'Beam Beam'. It's like she made a song that she wanted to make, she picked the song as the lead single, but this is always a double-edged sword in so-called 'creative freedom'.

Cool song, nice song, even vibey song, won't always be a song that GP eats, or at least the song which will attract people in a certain age range.

ps: also I do think that CUBE probably didn't make proper noise about this release because usually kids from Premium Dance Studio, or pros from ARTBEAT would film, and release reactions right away, yet today both channels were silent.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Doesn’t matter. Even if Cube just bought a song for her 99% chance it wouldn’t do well

That’s just how it rolls. This is why big companies spend huge amount of money on marketing, manipulating views and streams, because they have to force their rookies into success until the fandom grows big enough it can stand on its own legs

She had a 1/10000 chance to hit hit big with her release

• Sigh. Every comeback, there are always talk about "oh no, the song isn't GP-friendly!1!!1" but what even is GP-friendly, actually?? We talk about this all the time, but if companies can actually pinpoint what the GP likes, then the majority of kpop groups won't have trouble charting. Currently, only BP, BTS, Twice, OMG, Brave girls for 3rd gen and Itzy, Aespa ( in Next Level era) for 4th gen are charting well. (GIDLE charts well too but we not sure now due to sj scandal). I remember when Next level came out, everyone disliked it, its experimental or thinks it wont chart because its not "GP-friendly", but isn't it dominating the charts now?

IMO, if you dont have the resources and hype of BIG3+HYBE, then the best way to chart is actually through marketing+popularity+viral power than the finding the fickle "GP-friendly" song. Idle and OMG started charting well because of Queendom hype, BG due to viral military vid, and Jessi partly because she's so active in variety shows. I think Cube has been releasing promo material well, and soyeon has a lot if guestings lined up. Either way, SY solo is cube testing the waters on public+fandom after SJ anyway. they probably wanna know how much of the fandom is left, and i think the sales are okay for a solo so far. (almost 20k first day sales)

Also, YT channels probably aren't reacting because they are wary of SJ scandal and are in a "wait and see" for public reaction, not bc CUBE isnt doing enough promo

• Regardless of charts, I think it is a good solo intro for Soyeon. Track for track, Soyeon is punching way above her boxing weight class compared to a lot of male id0l rapper mini albums.

"What Type of X" was good for showing another dimension of Jessi too. It would have been a wowing track for Refund Sisters to shine together on but guess that wasn't meant to be.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!