Are you vengeful??

• Reading The Count of Mount Cristo got me thinking about these themes a lot... as in revenge, betrayal and resentment...

I won't spoil the book for those who might be interested in reading it but i'll give the overall plot... or a brief summary of it...

Let's say you have these friends whom you trusted and thought were loyal to you... but they betrayed you and made you spend some years in waste because they were envious of you.... but you come back to find them living their best life... and one of them stole your finacee btw :eyes:

So of course you'd feel anger and in need to get back at them.. it's only natural tbh

What do you guys do in this situation? Do you spend the rest of your lives seeking revenge or do you learn to move on :whatb:

You can answer in general too if you guys want... maybe you've went through something similar who knows!

selfmate I'd like to know your opinion on this since you read the book before :lover3:

• Go to Best Answer
  • I also read the book, but a long time ago.

I'm not vengeful, I move on. But never forget and don't want to deal with people that 'betrayed' me or whatever. I don't want them in my life and want to just live and focus on myself and people that do appreciate me.

In the book's case, I forgot a bit about it, but of course I would also feel angry and frustrated in his case. I don't know if I would seek revenge tbh. Maybe along the lines of showing them I'm back and doing good, it's hard to imagine myself in this exact situation.

• I also read the book, but a long time ago.

I'm not vengeful, I move on. But never forget and don't want to deal with people that 'betrayed' me or whatever. I don't want them in my life and want to just live and focus on myself and people that do appreciate me.

In the book's case, I forgot a bit about it, but of course I would also feel angry and frustrated in his case. I don't know if I would seek revenge tbh. Maybe along the lines of showing them I'm back and doing good, it's hard to imagine myself in this exact situation.

same with me tbh! i always thought that revenge is wasted energy that i'd rather give to myself and close people not those who hurt me...

but ofc i'd never forget just like you said :peperain:

• I'm petty, which I think is better than being vengeful:pepegrin:

Constantly thinking about people who did you wrong only brings in negative energy to your life, but if we don't do anything about it they will continue doing so to you /other people.

• yess karma always works imo...

the best thing to do honestly is to focus on yourself only <3

• people posting here never felt that low... it's hard to have empathy for dantes because we've never truly experienced having everything taken away...

thus the most we can do is sympathise with him... now i can't remember how long he was incarcerated but you can picture that may be the same feeling as a truly innocent person feels but magnified like 100 yimes after learning the people who dis it to you were your friends...

revenge is a dish best served cold...

• people posting here never felt that low... it's hard to have empathy for dantes because we've never truly experienced having everything taken away...

thus the most we can do is sympathise with him... now i can't remember how long he was incarcerated but you can picture that may be the same feeling as a truly innocent person feels but magnified like 100 yimes after learning the people who dis it to you were your friends...

revenge is a dish best served cold...

I agree with you honestly... reading about something is nothing compared to actually going through it... and what Dantes went through is honestly hell so i can't blame him for choosing revenge.. it's a right in his case

• selfmate

not going to quote you, because I think the new game already started? Haha I should probably not play this game...

But here is my response to your post :D

Of course we can not know how we would actually feel if the same thing happened to us, that's what I said.

But not everyone would act the same ways as he did.

It's an interesting story that I really liked growing up and as a kid I understood him more than I do now. But like I've said, I obviously have no idea how I would act in his situation.

And about your famous saying 'revenge is a dish best served cold', I disagree :D

Thinking about the revenge for a long time and planning things just to get revenge makes you bitter and I believe it's not good for your mental state,

since you could use this time for something else, like for improving the way you are etc.

• I agree with you honestly... reading about something is nothing compared to actually going through it... and what Dantes went through is honestly hell so i can't blame him for choosing revenge.. it's a right in his case

quick point of order the proniuns game is in effect selfmate's friend lol

but yes that feeling of losing everything, family, friends, life, money, youth etc...

if selfmate recalls dantes had a child and selfmate knows that selfmate would move heaven and earth to seek revenge for selfmate's child...

• it is in effect selfmate's friend lol

but revenge may be served in many ways... one could turn that into something positive like bettering oneself but one could also plot and be bitter..

that's up to the individual...selfmate would counteract that mental state by saying justice not seen is justice not served...

people who suffer a wrong deserve to be put right... and if the justice system won't do that is that any better mental state for that person or their loved ones...

there are plenty of examples in history where people have suffered and continue to do so because of a wrongdoing whether on a personal level or otherwise... and selfmate personally thinks that mental state is not good either...

• quick point of order the proniuns game is in effect selfmate's friend lol

but yes that feeling of losing everything, family, friends, life, money, youth etc...

if selfmate recalls dantes had a child and selfmate knows that selfmate would move heaven and earth to seek revenge for selfmate's child...

yes he does have a son :eyes:

chaeng forgot about the game and is sorry, chaeng's friend :omgr:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!