GOP senators grill Fauci on Wuhan lab funding, origins of COVID-19, Facebook Backpedals on Banning Posts Saying COVID-19 is Man-Made

• GOP senators grill Fauci on Wuhan lab funding, origins of COVID-19

By Juliegrace BrufkeMay 26, 2021 | 2:41pm | Updated

Republican senators grilled Dr. Anthony Fauci about grant funding provided to the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the origins of COVID-19 during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing Wednesday — as pressure mounts for him to be fired over his shifting positions on the issues.

Fauci has come under fire from leading Republicans, who have blasted the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for his litany of shifting stances on how to combat the coronavirus, its origin and an investigation into the Wuhan Institute of Virology — with some calling for his resignation.

During Wednesday’s hearing, Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) raised questions about whether the funding provided to the Wuhan Institute of Virology was used for its intended purposes and not for “gain of function” research, which Fauci has previously described as “taking a virus that could infect humans and making it either more transmissible and/or pathogenic for humans.”

Fauci confirmed that $600,000 in grant funding to be used over the course of five years was provided to study whether bat coronaviruses could be transmitted to humans, adding that he believes the funding was properly used, but can’t 100 percent confirm it was utilized for its intended purpose.

“You have no way of knowing whether they did or not, except you trust them. Is that right?” Kennedy asked, pressing on whether he could guarantee that the grantee has not lied to him.

Fauci asserted that he believes the funding was not misused after reviewing the research produced by the scientists abroad, but “cannot guarantee that a grantee has not lied to us because you never know.”

“They’re very competent, trustworthy scientists, I’m not talking about anything else in China, I’m talking about the scientists that you would expect that they would abide by the conditions of the grant, which they’ve done for the years that we’ve had interactions,” he said.

Kennedy went on to raise concerns about the Chinese Communist Party’s level of influence over the World Health Organization, to which Fauci responded that he has confidence in the WHO’s independence.

“My interaction with the WHO and for Dr. Tedros, the director general, has been one thing that I do believe he’s a person of a high degree of integrity,” he said.

Republicans have also been highly critical of Fauci following his recent remarks that it is possible COVID-19 could have originated out of a lab, after GOP lawmakers came under fire last year for repeatedly raising the possibility.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) questioned the timeline in which it would be determined the virus came from a lab if an intermediate host is not found, and who should be leading that investigation.

Fauci said it’s hard to provide a timeline since they still have not found the intermediate host for Ebola, which they are confident did not originate from a lab, adding that he would like the WHO to continue its probe.

“[T]he WHO did what they’re referring to now as phase one of an investigation, which they felt was not completely adequate. As you know, you’ve heard me and Dr. Collins and others in the administration calling for a continuation of the investigation,” Fauci said, referring to Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health.

And Sen Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) raised concerns about China’s “history of lab accident,” adding that the “outbreak happened in a city that happened to be the home, coincidentally, of a lab which we know is involved in extensive research and what they do is they take this naturally occurring virus, and they manipulate it, and they change it to make it infectious to humans.”

The Florida Republican questioned why Fauci previously tamped down speculation that the virus could have been artificially manufactured.

“I have always said that the high likelihood is that this is a natural occurrence. I didn’t dismiss anything, I just said it’s a high likelihood that this is a natural occurrence, from the environment of an animal reservoir that we have not yet identified,” Fauci said.

“Well, I still maintain that, but as I just mentioned to the response to other questions that since you don’t know 100 percent about that because no one knows, including me, 100 percent what the origin is, is the reason why we’re in favor of further investigation.”

In May 2020, Fauci said “the scientific evidence is very, very strongly leaning toward” the virus having evolved in nature, adding that he did not believe it came from a lab.

“If you look at the evolution of the virus in bats and what’s out there now, [the scientific evidence] is very, very strongly leaning toward this could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated,” Fauci told National Geographic in an interview at the time.

He added that he didn’t believe “an alternate theory — that someone found the coronavirus in the wild, brought it to a lab, and then it accidentally escaped.”

“Everything about the stepwise evolution over time strongly indicates that [this virus] evolved in nature and then jumped species,” the doctor said at the time.

Graham said that if it is found that the deadly virus did originate in the Wuhan Institute of Virology, he feels it is critical there be significant consequences.

“I think we should send a clear signal to China, it seems to be a source of a lot of pandemics, that if this did occur in the lab, expect something to happen, because if we don’t, we’re just going to reinforce this in the future,” he said. “And what that something is I’m open-minded to, but I’m closed-minded to the idea of doing nothing.”

Facebook Backpedals on Banning Posts Saying COVID-19 is Man-Made

The social media platform spokesperson, who was not named, said that their decision to reverse the Facebook ban is also aligned with the ongoing investigation of COVID-19's origin as well as the consultation with public health experts.

"We're continuing to work with health experts to keep pace with the evolving nature of the pandemic," said the social media giant's spokesperson underscoring they will continue "to update" their platform's policies when new facts and trends become available.

Earlier in the year, Facebook has banned posts claiming that COVID-19 is manmade or manufactured, as well as other misleading health claims on their platform. Politico noted that the social media giant has been working and consulting global health officials as they updated their policies against false and misleading information pertaining to COVID-19.

"Facebook is supporting the global public health community's work to keep people safe and informed during the coronavirus public health crisis," said the social media giant in their statement in December. The tech giant also noted that they will continue to "prohibit" contents that utilize the pandemic for commercial gains. Facebook also noted that their company invested around $100 million in the news industry as well as supporting fact-checkers.

The Federal government has placed pressure on the social media companies for controlling the misinformation that is revolving in their platforms. Politico noted that the founders and developers of Facebook, Google, and Twitter were summoned in a hearing in March tackling the issue.

Despite other social media saying that misleading claims violate the roots of their policy, the reversal of Facebook ban on posts saying COVID-19 is manmade marks the first prominent social media platform that revisited their policies and rules in the light of the Wuhan lab leak theory that may explain how COVID-19 promulgated globally.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Many experts tried to tell everyone earlier and they were silenced/censored by all social media platforms. These social media companies are CORRUPT and are in cahoots with those trying to oppress and lie to the american people.

You see how they are trying to normalize naming variants of the virus "uk variant, brazil variant, etc" to distance the virus further from China yet when it came to saying "chinese virus" all of a sudden its "racist". This virus was deliberately released by the powers that be (the CCP) and the social media companies tried to help cover it up. Thats why the censorship was happening!

• Same shit that Trump said ages ago but now its not racist to say it?

the powers that be definitely paid the media to spin that narrative. they didn't want Trump in power. They (and the CCP) can better deal with someone with dementia. Its sad how so many people are being unknowingly fooled.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!