The Red Velvet of "Russian Roulette" and "Rookie" was so ahead-of-its-time that they had to overcompensate by indulging in empty 90s R&B to get fanfare from America.

• 2 Members and 72 Guests

While you're here you might as well stream

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's very inspired by American '90s R&B, but numerous other K-pop songs are also inspired by American music. That doesn't mean it's bad or that it's "selling out to America."

Red Velvet has always incorporated a '90s R&B sound to their music. That was the other side to them since the beginning. It wasn't something that suddenly showed up with "Bad Boy."

No no no, I'm also talking about the songs themselves. And I'm not talking about other groups, I'm talking about Red Velvet. Intrinsically, Red Velvet had this Korean aesthetic, this quirkiness, that was prominent in the album RED, that was at its core. But now it's all muddled up with this American capitulation that I find they lost something dear.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!