What is the difference between an Artist-group and an idol-group?

• Looking at groups of at least 3 people and more who at least sing together (and most likly, but not allways are dancing to their songs). At what point would you say they are an artist-group and at what point would you say they are an idol-group and what is a significant difference so you allready see who's an idol and who's an artist?

I allways thought you only call someone an artist if that is a soloist, band that plays only rock/punk/metal/jazz, duo or group who onl sings ballad or jazz-songs without any pop or hip-hop influences, people who sing to metal or rock, people making music for old people,... but I don't really see how you devide idols-groups and artist-groups since what people told me as "artist-group" looks and sounds nothing different than an idol-group since what I see and hear are most of the time people with the same look and musicaly style as those who people automaticly call an idol-group

So how do you know at what point a boygroup or girlgroup is an artist group and not an idol group?

Let's say you have 5 dudes dancing together, 1 is a rapper, 1 is a main vocal, 2 of the dudes have colorfull dyed hair, everyone has makup on, they wear matching outfits, song is generic sounding, the MV has dance-parts and they use more as 1 set to film in. At what point would you call this group artist-group or idol-group?

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• An idol is an artist so I don't agree with these distinctions.

I agree

there doesn't need a long argument about this, just go to any music site or chart and people can find the groups name under Artist category.

there isn't a special Idol category on any music site or chart around the world.

just call all the groups artist.

Idol is when people Idolize a group or an individual, that's the meaning of Idol.

Idol group is simply saying a said group is being Idolized. That's it.

people can say a said group doesn't write or compose their songs so they call them Idol group but at the end of the day the group is staring in a music release, singing and dancing and all that, it's art in itself. If anything its performing arts. So yea at the end of day they are artist.

• Ye songwriting is an art but so is performing lmao

This is just because a certain group songwrites and suddenly they are artists when everyone else is idols as if nothing the other groups do have artistic value which is ridiculous.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!