I just found out that this word is not okay to use

• Apparently, the word "hearing impaired" is not okay to use.

and I kinda used that word in a thread talking about Big O!cean. (I have now edited that Big O!cean thread and replaced that word with a different one)

The group consists of members with hearing impairment. (but aren't fully deaf)

I saw another kpop website using that word to talk about them, so I thought it was okay to use.

Well... I'm never going to use that word again.

I'm sorry.

• But I don't understand what is offensive about "hearing impaired", it is not an insult or slur towards deaf people.

Well... according to a quick Google search:

This term “hearing impaired” may have been once viewed as a politically correct version of the word “deaf”, but it is no longer acceptable. It is outdated and demeaning. It establishes the standard as “hearing”, and anything different is impaired or substandard.

Many individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing prefer the terms "deaf" and "hard of hearing," because they consider them to be more positive than the term "hearing impaired," which implies a deficit or that something is wrong that makes a person less than whole.

And I found out because of a video that I was watching yesterday. (timestamped)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Next up on the list:

Blind -> cannot see

Handicapted -> People who have issues

Wheelchair user -> Person who is unable to walk

Pacemaker -> Helping device for your heart

and so on ...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Disclaimer this isn't just my personal view, my sign language teacher (whos partially deaf) taught about the culture and why they really don't use words like that.

Its not really "offensive" so to speak but a lot of Deaf or Hard of Hearing people don't see deafness as a "disability or impairment". Like if they tell somebody "oh I'm deaf" and the person responds with " oh I'm so sorry" they're like "what for??" They never had hearing so its not like they miss it. The reasoning is basically

Even if they can't hear it doesn't mean they're any less competent than any hearing person, they still communicate, its just by signing instead of speaking. Using stuff like "impaired" may seem degrading or belittling. A lot of people are proud to be deaf, its like a whole culture. There's different dialects/slang and everything, u can tell where people are from based off of how they sign.

It's even its own title I'm not quite sure how to explain it, its not just "oh im deaf" its "yep I'm Deaf." kinda like introducing yourself as " I'm American" or " I'm German" there's emphasis on the first letter, i dunnno how to explain it very well but here's an article on it.

What's the Difference Between Deaf with Capital 'D' & deaf with Small 'd'?
    You may have noticed that some people call themselves deaf or Deaf; the difference being the use of capital and small 'd'. But what's the difference?
    hearmeoutcc.com

here's an example of one of the different dialects,

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

**The exceptions could be like if you grew up hearing then lost your hearing .. they probably wouldnt welcoming for certian ** :pepe-tinfoil-hat:

i dunno if that made sense??

`✵•.¸,✵°✵.。.✰ 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘴𝘺, 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘤 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘢 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘻𝘪𝘯𝘦. 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪 𝘸𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘶𝘱 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺, 𝘪 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘣𝘢𝘳𝘣𝘪𝘦 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴 ✰.。.✵°✵,¸.•✵´

Dahyun, Jeongyeon and Jihyo in Talk that Talk MV | Twice, Merry happy,  Twice mv   Chaeyoung 🗡💙👓 - TALK THAT TALK MV (1) | Kpop wallpaper, Kpop girls, What  is love

`

Edited once, last by oikalli ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!