When my classmates rather wanted to learn about racism than Buddhism and Hinduism

• A random memory that I have from, when I went to school and we were having a subject called "Christianity", where we learned about religion and stuff. (sometimes we were also talking about Aesop's fables and other stuff)

But one day, maybe when we were all 14 years old or something, we got to choose what we wanted to learn about, and the choices were "racism", "Buddhism" and "Hinduism"

Most of my classmates choose "racism". (a few wanted to learn about Buddhism and I can't remember if anyone wanted to learn about Hinduism)

So, we ended up learning about racism.

I can't quite remember all of the stuff we learned.

But one thing I remember was finding out what KKK was.

Well... I'm not quite sure why my classmates wanted to learn about that rather than two actual religions.

I don't know if they were scared that learning about these two would turn them into Buddhists or Hinduists. (Most of my classmates were Christian. If some of them weren't, then most likely Atheists.)

Because of that, I think that I didn't know much about these two religions.

• I’m not sure that there’s anything wrong with wanting to learn about racism lol

I don't think learning about racism will actually assuage it but to understand human diversity will. And, that is the point of learning different religions, to understand human diversity.

Besides, I don't think the subject of racism, which is in the scope of sociology, can replace the subject of Buddhism/Hinduism, which is closer to the scope of philosophy.

I watch a doc about the offense on transgenderism campaign from religious communities in Canada. A Hinduist father was frustrated that the primary school his son going to promote the concept of "fluid gender". He said the authority promoted the country as culturally diverse but, for them, cultural diversity was only the like of different costumes, foods and languages, they did not care anything on the deeper level such as, religious believes, norms, world views.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!