Cool With You - The story of love, and its cost.

• So its obvious by now that i’m a sucker for story telling, and honestly i need to explain how this video-lyrical connection really is a step above the rest from what I’ve seen.

Cool With You lyrically tells the story from the point of view of somebody falling in love with a person they know will not be theirs for long.

The lyrics explain this in a pretty straight-forward fashion.

The opening line “You know me like no other, even if I don’t way anything. See me like no other, and I think I like your point of view.” Shows the interaction of somebody who you idolize legitimatizing your feelings. I prefer the version of me that you see. This already shows the toxicity of where this love is coming from, being a bit more on the side of being reliant.

“You can come back any time, I don’t care what other people say. Please don’t go. Dreaming of each other” leads into “you may be on my mind every day. Baby, say you’re mine.” And a second iteration of this feeling. It shows that you are trying to keep this fleeting love, that seems to already have had a rocky past. This willingness to sacrifice not only your pride, but your image among your loved ones really shows the level of devotion that we’re coming from. “It feels…. Cool with you” explains why you are willing to sacrifice such high stakes. You feel so much better with this person, and the way that the chorus is sang, like a rollercoaster drop into an exciting beat is sort of the musical equivalent to how swept up in the emotion people get.

But love, especially unequal, doesnt last forever.

Verse 2 explains that now the love is ending. Now there’s a problem in the relationship that is causing a rift.

“For real, here, what kind if ending will you choose? Are you trying? Whats best?” Is sang in an upbeat way, but its a very simple breakdown of knowing somebody is falling out of love with you. Why aren’t they trying to be in love with me anymore?

This is followed by “when I’m with you, these words are hard to say and even if I don’t say it, will you cross the distance we’ve created? (Between us)” is now entering the desperation portion of being in love with somebody who doesn’t feel love in return. Now I know I love you as hard as I can, but do you even love me anymore at all? Are you still TRYING to love me?

“You know me like no other, see me like no other” being sang longingly mixed into the final chorus drives the nail into the coffin of this love ending. You’re already gone and now all I’m left with is wishing we were still together because I still love the me that you loved.

The video shows the story of this via Cupid (Hoyeon) falling in love with Psyche (Michal) (side A) and choosing to lose her powers (her self worth) and then Aphrodite (Tony Leung) taking that love away (side b) while NewJeans play the muses throughout the video, telling the story of their love via song.

Honestly the thought process that went into this video AFTER the lyrics were inspired by this greek myth is just so mind-blowing to me and the ability to tell the entire story in 8 minutes so well is the real feat.

Her (mhj) mind

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• Mmmm, and the video? :whatr:

Thank you for reminding me!!!! (Sorry i was going into work as I pressed send on my post)

side A-

Hoyeon enters as Cupid, immediately following this woman and looking for a match for her. After getting to know her well enough, Cupid finds the right counterpart in an elevator and decides that they will be attracted to one another. With just a glance, Hoyeon chooses this man and the two begin to kiss.

After completing her mission, Cupid leaves to look for her next human to make fall in love. Instead, she happens to run into Psyche, somebody who is said to be so beautiful that he is mistaken for Aphrodite (in greek mythology the genders of Cupid and Psyche are Male and Female respectively.) and Cupid is no exception to the rule. Immediately smitten, Cupid follows Psyche around, but not to learn who would be the best pair, rather out of genuine curiosity and attraction.

After following Psyche home, he falls asleep and Cupid inspects him in his sleep and she makes her decision to shed her divine power to make anybody fall in love and becomes mortal so that Psyche can also see her. To signify cupid shedding his wings, Hoyeon walks out into the rain and lets the water wash her dark shroud away, and along with it her ability to be invisible and choose attraction for others, smiling into the sky with the possibility that she and Psyche could be together.

(This video shows the first verse of the song, leading into the first pre-chorus)

(End scene)

side B-

The scene opens where we ended off, with Cupid as a human. Cupid decides to try her luck and goes to Psyche again, but as a human. At first Psyche doesn’t know who Cupid is, but gives her a chance and the two begin to fall in love.

We’re shown the two falling in love, going on vacations, sleeping over, making art of one another. We’re seeing Cupid really fall in love and actually experiences joy, and a sense of love for the self. She’s embodying the “cool with you” feeling.

Throughout the entire video up through the second pre chorus they are depicted together at all times. The song is aligned as well, but the lyrics are beginning to change in the song to talking about the “distance” between us, hinting to the switch that will come from the break in the happy theme of the video and the song itself playing.

Cupid is next depicted looking at Psyche, and he and she from across a street, but Cupid see’s her father, Aphrodite, behind Psyche. To teach Cupid the lesson that love and beauty are fleeting, he has Psyche fall in love with the next woman he sees, right in front of Cupid.

The ending chorus of the song has a much more upbeat tempo, but the weaving in of the lyrics “you know me like know other, see me like no other” is intentionally more out of desperation, lending to the feeling that you’re now chasing back after your love.

Cupid runs to Psyche to get him back, but it’s too late, he’s already fallen in love and doesn’t even notice her anymore. (Similar to the feeling of the person you’re dating beginning to fall in love and give the attention you normally receive to another)

We then see Cupid, again shrouded in black but now in human clothing. She enters the Muses chambers who are no longer dancing in front of the painting of Cupid and Psyche, and are now singing the new feeling of wanting to move on from somebody you suspect has moved on from you.

Get up, I don’t want to fight your shadow” aka your back, or the feeling of you. I’m not even fighting with you anymore, but with the idea of who used to he there.

“Meet me back in 5 if I matter to you, like you say i do.”

I know you don’t love me anymore, but fine go find yourself, and if you love me like you say you do, you’ll be back.

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!