Jpop music on Korean Charts

• I've noticed J-Pop tracking on Circle/Melon lately and I wonder what sparked this.

At first I saw Kick Back charting on Circle after Chainsaw Man came out and I assumed it was just a specific show getting popular, but then in February Lemon by the same artist (Kenshi Yonezu) started charting as well. I figured it was people just going through his catalog after discovering him since that was his biggest hit. But then all of a sudden I see Aimyon charting even higher with Ai wo Tsutaetai Datoka and I am just confused with what is happening here. This is a very old track and I am unaware of any reason why this song would start trending there all of a sudden. Was it featured in a movie or show? J-Pop has almost entirely been ignored in Korea for as long as I've been paying attention to the charts so it feels noteworthy.

• that's pretty interesting. i don't really look at charts all that much, so this is only tangentially, but I've noticed korean comments increasing on some jpop videos

a prime example is

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

some even state the video went viral in korea.

there was a time i think this type of performance would have been mocked in korea

• but I've noticed korean comments increasing on some jpop videos

I mainly see it on newer boygroups

JO1 and INI for example have like at least 10% Korean coments on their videos. Not sure if it is cause their company belongs to Mnet and therefore they get pushed into Korea like they apear on Korean YT-channels all the time but well IDK

But I saw it on other groups too, especially when one member is half/fully Korean or knows Korean than the chance to see Korean comments is also bigger as it look

And yeah I see it a lot under new boygroups

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!