Most kpop vocalists are average singers

• Despite his looks and amazing rap, it shows how the right group can make an idol reach their potential as a performer. People don't watch Big Bang performancers expecting to see an super difficult choreo, that's not their thing. They watch Big Bang for fun and rap-heavy performances. If TOP was in a dance heavy group, he would be bashed and his real abilities as a performer wouldn't be exploited.

This. Being able to work within your strengths and minimize your weaknesses is so important. Companies really try to find the right combination of talent and good fit for these members and that's a big reason why some popular and talented trainees get passed over for debut. And even if the group concept is necessarily perfect for them, the right combo of other members might be enough to compensate

• man i've loved a lot of technically bad singers in my life it's almost like there's more to music than strictly talent

where's all my opera stans at if it's that important

Me too. I have loved plenty of average singers.

But I will say that I never really agree with the "why don't you stan opera" argument when I see it either. First, I think it's a very narrow view of vocal skill. Opera is a specific genre that a lot of people don't like for reasons other than the talent of the singers. There are plenty of super talented vocalists that don't go into opera and are not opera trained. Also, it's a tad eurocentric that people equate opera as the epitome of vocal skill. It's like saying that a hip hop-focused dancer or expert traditional dancer in another culture obviously isn't as talented as a ballet dancer.

I can stan someone because I love their particular vocals and think they are technically better than some others without having to stan opera. I've been to several operas. Mad respect to them, but not my fave blech

• Me too. I have loved plenty of average singers.

But I will say that I never really agree with the "why don't you stan opera" argument when I see it either. First, I think it's a very narrow view of vocal skill. Opera is a specific genre that a lot of people don't like for reasons other than the talent of the singers. There are plenty of super talented vocalists that don't go into opera and are not opera trained. Also, it's a tad eurocentric that people equate opera as the epitome of vocal skill. It's like saying that a hip hop-focused dancer or expert traditional dancer in another culture obviously isn't as talented as a ballet dancer.

I can stan someone because I love their particular vocals and think they are technically better than some others without having to stan opera. I've been to several operas. Mad respect to them, but not my fave blech

idk anything about opera :iconpepe: that was just my point tho innit that there's a thousand reasons to not like it besides vocal skills and there's a thousand reasons to prefer something else besides vocal skills

we can replace opera with anything honestly where's all my celine stans on here

• idk anything about opera :iconpepe: that was just my point tho innit that there's a thousand reasons to not like it besides vocal skills and there's a thousand reasons to prefer something else besides vocal skills

we can replace opera with anything honestly where's all my celine stans on here

True, people can prefer and prioritize anything they want, so it's fine to not care about great vocals. But then it's also true that better vocal skills are also a legitimate thing to prefer, even in kpop. I think it's weird when people try to act like fans can't have that preference if they like kpop singers instead of more accepted examples of good vocalists. It's not an all or nothing thing. You can have a certain minimum standard that you look for without that standard being Celine or Mariah level singing. Just because I listen to kpop doesn't mean I have to give up all discernment. But people jump to that argument as if preferring vocal skills is a slight to groups that prioritize other talents, so they criticize that preference. I'm saying that it's okay either way. Like a group for their vocals or despite their vocals. Change your mind based on the group or on a song by song basis. It's all fine.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!