[TW: statutory r*pe] The disturbing thing about some of the books that I have read this year

• Or I'm not sure if "statutory rape" is the right word, but three of the books that I have read this year, contain 17 year old girls being in a relationship with an adult...

They are not in the same series, but I found it weird how all of those three had that thing.

And I wasn't aware of those stuff before I read them though. (Like if a synopsis of a book had said that it contains that stuff, then I wouldn't have read it.)

I read those books thinking "Is this even legal?"

It seemed like those books were kind of romanticizing it and making them not that big of a deal.

The book "Daughter of Fortune" by Isabel Allende has a flashback scene, where one of the characters, 17 years old back then, has an affair with an older opera singer.

Another book, "The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris" by Jenny Colgan has flashback scenes, where one of the characters, also 17 years old back then, is in a relationship with an older man in Paris and many years later still has feelings for that man.

And the third book was "Me on the Floor, Bleeding" by Jenny Jägerfeld, which has the 17 year old main character lying to a 20 year old man about her age and they end up in a relationship together. (Even though it said in the synopsis that "Crashing a neighbor's party, Maja meets twenty-year-old Justin Case, a super-verbal car mechanic with pink pants, who makes her forget everything about absent mothers and sawn-off thumbs, at least temporarily.", but I thought these two probably were going to have a platonic relationship or something.)

Well... I don't know if I'm the only one who is disturbed by this thing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!