Live AR with Mic On =/= MR. Majority of kpop performances have been LIVE AR but that doesn’t mean it’s a full lip sync

• Both are not the same and the MR is better than the Live AR and the Live AR with mic on is better than the one with mic off.

An MR will usually be the instrumental some backing vocals and guide for singing. A live AR is a fully recorded performance that’s used as a playback. The members may or may not have their mic’s on. This is why “hearing a dual sound” doesn’t automatically mean it’s not LIVE AR.

Btw I’m basing this on my own favs like EXO their solos etc.

The cue sheet called some exo performance a live AR but in the performance they’re clearly singing. Initially everyone brushed it off as the fans are lying to themselves or the antis are being hateful lol. But the truth is it’s entirely possible for your favs to have their mic on and still use a LIVE AR.

In fact this is one of the most common “live” singing you hear in kpop.

Personally for me I don’t consider live AR’s live singing even tho I’ve enjoyed many of EXO’s performances where I can hear their vocals. But yeah I know and acknowledge that a live AR with Mic on is not the same as live singing with an MR

• Ok.

I think in Melon Music Awards specifically, the microphones were off or effectively off. There might have been a couple times there was a clicking noise or "hitting the mic" but I can't really remember.

I was actually thinking more of today’s mama performances are also LIVE AR. Like Hyo’s. It’s a live AR but she does also have her mic on.

But yeah with just the cue sheet alone you can’t say it’s fully lip sync is what I wanted to say. You gotta judge the performances individually.

• I was actually thinking more of today’s mama performances are also LIVE AR. Like Hyo’s. It’s a live AR but she does also have her mic on.

But yeah with just the cue sheet alone you can’t say it’s fully lip sync is what I wanted to say. You gotta judge the performances individually.

I watched Hyolyn x Bibi's set but I really wasn't paying attention to whether it's live or not, was there some particular moment where you can tell they sang into the microphone?

Ok good point, yes I think a lot of music show performances are Live AR + microphones on (some lines are live or "sung over the backtrack" as people say). But I didn't remember this when I was looking at MMA cue sheet

• I watched Hyolyn x Bibi's set but I really wasn't paying attention to whether it's live or not, was there some particular moment where you can tell they sang into the microphone?

Ok good point, yes I think a lot of music show performances are Live AR + microphones on (some lines are live or "sung over the backtrack" as people say). But I didn't remember this when I was looking at MMA cue sheet

I only saw her individual one and you can indeed hear her sing in some parts but other parts it’s the full AR playing in the back.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!