Looking back on their careers EXO or Twice who is bigger in Korea overall?

Approved the thread.
  • TWICE obviously

look at kokobops attroious ULs

• It’s Twice no contest. Exo wins in fandom but in overall popularity it’s Twice.

• Exo probably. Twice are hasbeens

It says “looking back” lol I’d say Twice did better in terms of charts and impact. Even now they are doing better no? Sadly EXO members are enlisting one by one so that was a setback for them and fandom power obviously goes to EXO since they are a boy group. I know you hate Twice but be logical please.

• Twice had a string of number 1 hits and their popularity extended beyond just teen fans like Exo. For impact Twice are undeniably bigger.

• Twice of course. TT and Cheer Up exist and it's just the beginning of their hits' list.

• Exo probably. Most of the members all have successful solo careers.

• I think people easily forgot that twice had one of the biggest idol era ever on South korea with their back to back hits. Fandom wise sure exo edges over twice but if we compare their overall impact then it's twice >>> exo.

Twice actually have multiple hits with GP meanwhile the only exo songs that really hit up with GP was growl and love shot maybe?

• I think people easily forgot that twice had one of the biggest idol era ever on South korea with their back to back hits. Fandom wise sure exo edges over twice but if we compare their overall impact then it's twice >>> exo.

Twice actually have multiple hits with GP meanwhile the only exo songs that really hit up with GP was growl and love shot maybe?

Impact wise though Twice feels like a flash in the pan. Now that their trendy phase is over the general public seems to have all but forgotten about them entirely, replaced them for the newest shiny thing. EXO members meanwhile have successful solo careers on top of their strong fandom. Even though most of them are doing military service now, I have no doubt if they had a full group comeback they would probably still do well.

• had my trip to korea recently, I heard twice songs in hongdae, myeongdong and gangnam. I have not heard a single song of exo.

• Impact wise though Twice feels like a flash in the pan. Now that their trendy phase is over the general public seems to have all but forgotten about them entirely, replaced them for the newest shiny thing. EXO members meanwhile have successful solo careers on top of their strong fandom. Even though most of them are doing military service now, I have no doubt if they had a full group comeback they would probably still do well.

Twice had 9 number 1 hits in a row. Their peak was short but it was impact was immense. They were the NGG. They're 7 years old now and still doing decently as a group in Korea,.pretty well outside with touring and album sales and still making regular CBs.

Exo meanwhile has only had a handful of hit songs (growl, ko ko bop and maybe overdose?) and the rest did typical bg numbers aka nothing special to shit. As group they haven't had a CB since 2018 and who knows if they'll ever return as a full group. Public has clearly moved on from them as they haven't charted well for years and new idols aren't exactly lining up to say they were influenced by Exo as much as Twice.

• It depends. Exo has a bigger fandom but Twice is more iconic. If we are being honest, its been a hot minute since i have heard of spoke about exo ;(;( Idk what sm is doing but they kinda vanished. Majority of kpop stans forgot about them so that pretty much says much for their long term impact. The cause of that could be that their impact in 3rd generation was easily overshadowed by similar groups like bts, wannaone, or seventeen. Since they never brought anything new to kpop they never left behind a legacy. One the other hand, Twice was the face of the cutesy trend that lasted from 2015-2018. When you think of cute concept you think of Twice. When you think of j-line you think of the originals which is Twice. The fact that they have a huge legacy is the reason why they can still be remembered or brought up even after years of not being able to get another hit. SO yeah I would say Twice but EXO has a more dedicated fandom.

• exo had a bigger fandom but that's about it they only had a one hit song

• EXO were huge in their time. I was huge into kpop between 2012 and 2016 and EXO were far bigger than Twice.

I mean, EXO are to blame for the physical album market relaunching in kpop lol.

Twice were a huge GG but in comparison EXO were bigger.

• had my trip to korea recently, I heard twice songs in hongdae, myeongdong and gangnam. I have not heard a single song of exo.

I don’t know where you went but my friend was in Seoul and hongdae and she heard EXO’s Christmas songs playing and even went to a cafe playing baekhyun’s songs ^^

• Both groups are iconic.

EXO's First Snow still charts every year. They revived the physical market that everyone enjoys today while also gathering many firsts in the industry, from sales to Olympics to sponsorships. People saying they're not referenced by newer idols must not be listening - they are often cited as role models or idols, as well as having a continuous stream of instantly recognizable dance and song covers of their music. As soloists, they also remain strong in sales and concerts - even the less popular members are among the top 10 in sales for male soloists - with Baekhyun one of the top soloists in the industry.

As for people not knowing the songs:

This is a baseball game with people singing to Growl.

External Content www.tiktok.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is a concert of other artists (mostly 4th gen or younger 3rd gen groups0 but when EXO comes on as the filler song, the entire crowd is singing ^^

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is a list of songs played at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

• Twice had more hits and way bigger to GP

Exo only has fandom

• twice - easily NGG for simple reason they have massive hits and impact

cannot be exo since you have to make essays to justify your own rationale why it is exo

• Embarrassing thread really.

Fandom wise obviously EXO, just like Seventeen and NCT Dream also have bigger fandoms in South Korea and can hold Stadium concerts in NCTs case. But that comes down to the concert and fandom culture in South Korea, hence why only IU as a female is the only one to hold a stadium concert there and it took her more than 10 years.

Outside of fandom powered stats Twice come out on top.

They have one hit song in Growl. They have absolutely zero digital Gaon certifications will tells you the extent of their musical impact and reach, even retrospective ones from Gaon's observation notes for songs such as KKB (once the most streamed song on Melon iirc) they have nothing which shows how fandom oriented they were. Twice released 4 titles tracks the same year as KKB and 3 of them have 2.5m downloads plus.

Twice have had multiple years peaking higher on Gallup showing the level of their recognition.

Trying to equate Twice's early dominance to EXOs when Twice's is literally one of the highest peaks a kpop group has ever had in South Korea is also crazy.

• Charts: Twice

Fandom power: Exo

Impact: Twice. They did wonders for the kpop Japanese market

• This is a list of songs played at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

This is a stupid metric to use. Are you trying to say Ateez is as impactful as BTS because they got only 8 songs playing at the Olympics??

Twice is bigger overall in terms of impact and legacy. End of the conversation

• I will forever find it hilarious when I see people not from somewhere argue about who/what is popular there. Keep believing the media hype tho kpop fans.

• That's easy, Twice.

• twice's impact with the public was on another level hence why they were called nation's girl group. I'm not even a once but exol's are very delusional if they think their success didn't come from their big fandom they are more fandom driven . let's be real If there isa group that benefited from having a huge fandom is them (especially in China) at least groups like bts have both fandom and public recognition

• Twice have 9 number one hits songs on gaon, only IU and bigbang have more. Exo have 4.

Twice have 15 weeks at number one. only IU, BTS and bigbang have more. Exo have 4.

• Statistics will be different.

EXO will be better on physicals and concerts,

Twice on digitals.

But overall from a historical perspective,

EXO will be known as the BG which was BTS' rival at point, then faded, whereas

Twice will be known as the GG of their generation, even though they have faded now.

I know there will be objections to the above description.

But taking 2nd gen as an example, 2NE1, SISTAR actually had fantastic run, but the GG of that generation would be SNSD - whatever be the numbers.

Like that Blackpink, Mamamoo, RV all have their own successes big and small, but Twice would be the representative GG of the 3rd gen.

That will not be the case for EXO, the leaders of BGs will be recorded as Bigbang and then BTS, EXO will be mentioned only in relation the rise of BTS.

Hence I think overall Twice will figure more in the history K-pop in Korea, than EXO would,

• You really think having a song played at sporting events during downtime is indicative of success? Lmao

So by your logic, looking at the tweets does that mean Ateez is equal in popularity to BTS? Itzy is bigger than BP?

• This thread contains 6 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!