Jang Wonyoung's trendy 'Tweety bangs' stir controversy among international communities

• Jang Wonyoung's trendy 'Tweety bangs' stir controversy among international communities

0000565664_001_20220824155902725.jpg

Video: Jang Wonyoung is getting a sh*t ton of hate from international fans

Source: Taexeon1 via TikTok

1. [+248] Eh? Wonyoung is an idol, not someone who is supposed to be educated in world culture

- [+23] But she's still an influential figure, she should be more careful

- [+20] You're right but how can she be careful about every single thing? It's not like she has two brains to be going around memorizing every all these things

- [+21] Honestly, this hair is just something styled for her by her stylist who probably thought it was just a cute way to style baby hair. How is Wonyoung supposed to know if the stylist knew it has roots in Black historyㅜ? It's not like it's some specific hair style like reggae hair... Yes, I agree that she should be careful as a public figure but this seems like such a forced excuse just to hate on her ㅠ

2. [+144] Koreans have always had perms for baby hairs and Jang Wonyoung just took that and gave it a cute name called Tweety bangs.. If those international fans are going to be bothered by this, then they should start by getting mad at every country that has their variation of perming baby hairs without calling it "laid edges Black style"

3. [+85] Ugh people triggered once again

4. [+61] This isn't even a big deal to be getting upset about..

5. [+12] It'd be wrong to assume that everyone has the same level of knowledge as everyone else so I understand the debate this has caused, but I've always been aware of the laid edges style often worn by Black people so when Jang Wonyoung suddenly started calling it Tweety bangs, it did make me stop and go "huh?", and it does bother me that she keeps calling it that and acting like she came up with the idea ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

6. [+6] I think the people mad at this should go look at what laid edges are supposed to look like

- [+1] It looks completely different from this

- [+2] That's what I'm saying, it's definitely a different style

7. [+42] This is a debate that's taking place among international fans so it'd be best if Koreans just stayed out of it and quiet ㅠ it's a topic that's sensitive for many

8. [+26] I'd understand Black people being upset if this was something like blackface but this is just... a case of Jang Wonyoung making a Black hairstyle a trend and giving it a name she chose, no? ㅋㅋㅋ

- [+4] This is a hair style with historical meaning for Black people, you can't just allow a celebrity from another country to start calling it whatever she wants. I can understand why Black people are mad over it.

9. [+21] This seems more like a case of the shaggy cut and ash cut essentially being the hair styles, just called different names... not sure what culture has anything to do with it

10. [+36] Her hair stylists probably wanted to make her stand out by doing something special so they cut her bangs -> stylists decided to give it a name and decided on Tweety bangs because it was one of her childhood nicknames and she looks like a baby chick before her hair is set -> there is no way to expect Jang Wonyoung to be educated in Black culture, it's just a cute name she gave it and people are causing all this fuss over it

11. [+25] I don't get why Black people are so sensitive? It's like they expect the whole world to be aware of their culture's customs and respect it no matter what ㅠ

12. [+16] What are people going to hate on Jang Wonyoung for next? Just breathing and wasting air?

13. [+9] And do Black people know every little thing about Korean culture? ㅠㅠ It's not like Jang Wonyoung did this hair because she chose it, why hate on her for it? ㅜ Is it necessary that Koreans are also educated in Black culture?

14. [+8] I think the crux of the problem is that she gave a new name to the style of bangs. It's like a foreigner taking a hanbok or kimchi and starting to call it something else. We'd be mad, too. I do, however, think that this isn't an issue to blame Jang Wonyoung on.

15. [+19] How is Jang Wonyoung supposed to know this about Black culture?

• They are known as bangs in Korea? I thought they laid edges for her lol

I dont get what's wrong with the hair?

if people think her bangs are bad, they should see mine :clown:

i would not survive a day in korea :pepecry:

Well apparently styling baby hairs is something that started from within the black community, so they're giving her hate bc she's styling her hair in the same way while being asian. Gatekeeping basically

out of service

• Def gatekeeping.

Like other cultures don't have kids either....

yeah it's been a thing for quite some time actually. a lot of black people (on the internet at least) see it as their thing I guess. which I'm not against, if they created it then fine but what's the big deal with non-black people doing it too? plus i've seen quite a few asians who naturally have baby hairs

out of service

• Well apparently styling baby hairs is something that started from within the black community, so they're giving her hate bc she's styling her hair in the same way while being asian. Gatekeeping basically

oh i've seen those kinds of bangs pretty frequently irl. it's a very cute and distinctive style. i don't really see those bangs on her though? maybe it's just stylistically inspired by it? or it doesn't suit her hair type.

• oh i've seen those kinds of bangs pretty frequently irl. it's a very cute and distinctive style. i don't really see those bangs on her though? maybe it's just stylistically inspired by it? or it doesn't suit her hair type.

I said this in another thread but Wonyoung's hair line is a bit unusual. Like her hairs are distributed unevenly. It seems like weirdly overgrown baby hairs

out of service

• yeah it's been a thing for quite some time actually. a lot of black people (on the internet at least) see it as their thing I guess. which I'm not against, if they created it then fine but what's the big deal with non-black people doing it too? plus i've seen quite a few asians who naturally have baby hairs

This is one of those cases where it has been developed independently in different cultures

(also happens when you trim early hair on kids)

tbh gonna be completely honest... This shit happens on purpose and on accident on any kid.

• From what I've seen it's not that Wonyoung wore her hair like this... nor have I really seen anyone hating on her for it (outside of people who hate on her in general), but it's the fact that people are turning this into a challenge to do your bangs like this and renaming it something completely different.

• I said this in another thread but Wonyoung's hair line is a bit unusual. Like her hairs are distributed unevenly. It seems like weirdly overgrown baby hairs

she def got those multi-length hairs.

Those are super annoying too coz there's short ones right in the same area code as the long ones so I bet this was her way of trying to figure out new styles to manage it.

• yeah it's been a thing for quite some time actually. a lot of black people (on the internet at least) see it as their thing I guess. which I'm not against, if they created it then fine but what's the big deal with non-black people doing it too? plus i've seen quite a few asians who naturally have baby hairs

As a black person, I never quite understood the CA against KPOP idols surrounding hairstyles. I don't understand Korean idols being put down because they weren't aware of Black culture. Even if idols go to an international school and learned to speak English, doesn't really mean that they've been exposed to Black culture. South Korea is mostly a homogenous country as well. I don't think they even mean to offend anyone, and that they just see it as a trend or something cool and are probably completely unaware on how much it could offend a group of people.

However, I will say that in general, I could see where some of the Black community is coming from. I grew up in a mixing pot of races but mostly Caucasian but for the Black people that I do know sometimes mention how our ancestors were oppressed and forced into enslavement. And some might see it as mocking our roots because it's a part of our culture.

I'm not speaking for everyone on this, I'm just trying to see what some other people might see because I don't typically think about this too much tbh.

Also, I would like to add that "baby hairs" in this context refer to using gel to bring down baby hairs so that they are smoothed on the face, mostly used by Black women to stop it from bothering them too much. It's not simply that people have baby hairs because they are a natural thing.

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• I said this in another thread but Wonyoung's hair line is a bit unusual. Like her hairs are distributed unevenly. It seems like weirdly overgrown baby hairs

she def got those multi-length hairs.

Those are super annoying too coz there's short ones right in the same area code as the long ones so I bet this was her way of trying to figure out new styles to manage it.

That's pretty much what baby hair styling is. The whole purpose of it is taking a gel or some other safe cohesive and "pinning" it to your face so that it doesn't get in your way.

But that's not why people are upset here. It's the fact that she gave it a name that the Black community can be upset about.

Which I still think is kind of crazy because I don't think she would know she's offending a group of people.

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jang Wonyoung's trendy 'Tweety bangs' stir controversy among international communities
    netizen buzz, korean pop,korean drama, korean media, korean entertainment, korean news, kpop, kdrama, netizens, comments, reactions, translations
    netizenbuzz.blogspot.com

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com

:pepe-shame:

• You know what?

All this CA thing started because those idols didn't know how much it means to the respective cultural owner.

They don't know because simply those were outside of their "world" and looks like it's not a thing that you get from school ed either.

And when they unknowingly using that, the people reacting by "educating" along with the intent of bashing and rage.

Yes, all of them are only REACTING. If they truly want to gatekeep it, why not make a mitigation move?

Why they don't make some educational events to South Korea about their culture? Since, it would be the best if the OG cultural owner are the one who telling this. But yeah, seems like there is no one doing that.

Or just simply make a campaign, listing all things that should not be used for idols and their company. Tweet it everyday, bombard it everyday, make the whole world know.

Because once again, you can't assume everyone knows the thing that you know.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!