Velvet's Library: Verivery's Veri-Chill

• 21/8/22

Verivery is a really hit or miss group in my eyes. Their debut year [2019] is some of the best material 4th gen has to offer with its innocent energy, and the release trigger with the accompanying mini album in 2021 signalled a return to their energy but with edm incorporated. But, the majority of their 2020 and 2021 albums have been too cut in frame. What I mean is: imagine a picture frame; Verivery’s painting is too big for the frame so they cut off big chunks of their most beautiful parts of the artwork. What we are left with is an abstract mess. That’s what I think of Verivery’s bad releases.

Veri-chill is not that type of single album. This is their last 2019 release, and the concept hinted at a more mature group in its concept and music video. Though the songs accompanying the comeback are bright and polished, too polished they come off as creepy. But that’s the best part about the single album, it’s so bright it’s uncanny. Overall, I think that’s what the producers were trying to do, and I’m sold. I love ‘it’s not as it seems’ tracks, and Tag Tag Tag is that and more! Mystery Light is also a great b-side, though it doesn’t bring the creepiness, it definitely does bring the fun. Veri-chill is a testament to Verivery’s debut year’s innocence, and I’ll forever miss it.

Tracklist:

Tag Tag Tag (single)

Mystery Light

XeK6vyCX_r5LZujrfi8-EoBaHJMwqkcPEVGs1DIEp-ag7-2cUKr1nkS-jN4znfhQ6lYMyUY7bUfMJMTx5uqJ6_LBO1YVsoTECfIoBFqMAA-hWVSNFVUKfuoFonpITftYfqWFsyaams1XH_atZfWx--I

Tag Tag Tag

Written by: Drew Ryan Scott, Wkly, Gabe Lopez, Cho Yoon Kyung, IVeR (ALIVE KNOB), Sean Alexander, Kim Hye Jung

Lyricism by: Wkly, Cho Yoon Kyung, Kim Hye Jung

Arrangement by: Gabe Lopez, IVeR (ALIVE KNOB)

Composition by: Drew Ryan Scott, Gabe Lopez, Sean Alexander, IVeR (ALIVE KNOB)

I love the intro. It’s so bold that it drew me in when listening for the first time. The members bounce off each other from line to line in the verses and choruses; I like to think they’re tagging each other whilst singing. That isn’t to discredit the rappers though, they do a wonderful job in the second verse and there’s a lot of thought that went into the flow of their lines. The beat is playful, and is the limelight of the overall production. There’s something so jumpy about it, and the rhythm also plays along with the percussion. All of it makes the chorus so lovable. How the main vocalists just click into gear when battling it is just amazing. However, the last minute of the track is uncanny. There is something under my skin when listening to the majority of the song, but then it comes out from the shadows and I get chills down my spine just by hearing the final chorus. It’s like something isn’t right. And the outro is just as creepy. The chords in the outro really makes Tag Tag Tag a record to revisit frequently, because this song is the only one which can sound so innocent but can also make me just a tad paranoid. I’d love to hear more K-pop singles like this.

Also, the music video is amazing, one of the best music videos of the 4th generation.

Hooks: 9

Production: 10

Longevity: 10

Bias: 9

Total: 9.5

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mystery Light

Written by: Kim Ji Hyang, DONGHEON, GYEHYEON, MELODESIGN, Antti Jlmari Hynninen

Lyricism by:Kim Ji Hyang, DONGHEON, GYEHYEON

Arrangement by: Antti Jlmari Hynninen

Composition by: MELODESIGN, Antti Jlmari Hynninen

Unlike Tag Tag Tag, Mystery Light is just fun, and a lot of fun! Though this was released in the autumn months, the track is more of a summer song. The production is more acoustic this time, using guitars and drums, but there are still electronic influences that switch on and off throughout the entire song. The chorus is great. Simple, short, yet catchy and effective. And like the single, this record bounces from one member to another. It works in their favour, as it gives Mystery Light a quick-paced atmosphere. The bridge being instrumental makes the section contain energy and the vocals release that energy during the final chorus. I don’t see anyone else releasing a song like this except Verivery, they are the only group who can pull off a song like this.

Hooks: 9

Production: 9

Longevity: 9

Bias: 9

Total: 9

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Total: 9.25/10

Credit to TheBiasList for rating system.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!