Why solo stans remind me of the alt right: an analysis

• So before I get into this topic there are some things to be taken in consideration. There are assumptions that I have come to based on my observations of human behavior on various forums, on how fandoms work and the behavior of different individuals in different places and their intersection.

The alt right is a conservative political movement that emerged on the internet specifically in the United States and is characterized by opposition to the mainstream politics and the use of online forums and blogs (reddit, 4chan) to desseminate incriminating information antagonistic to minority groups.

Now these folks are easily found in the manosphere, in Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson's comment section or just trolling on the internet. These are mostly white men who are resentful of the progressive movements such as feminism or anti racism movements. Conservatives tend to have vested interest in upholding the hierarchical hegemony and they lash out when they feel it shaking (wrongfully).

How do solo stans come into this? Their behavior. I think these are young people who are increasingly swayed by reactionary movements such as the above and turn to conspiracy theories about companies and fandoms that make no sense. Point to be noted: kpop industry and companies are notoriously exploitative and a lot of times there are legitimate concerns which fans raise their voices against. Then there are times where things just don't make sense.

Let's take a look at the behaviors the alt right and solo stans have in common:

1. The same isolationist, mantric way of indoctrination

2. Engaging in feedback loop arguments

3. Accusations with short, quippy, reactionary takes (you are anti-member! (their way of saying shut up liberal))

4. Not taking longform, detailed and logical arguments and

5. Being prone to conspiracy theories.

Ofcourse not all solo stans behave the same. Some are just casual fans who like one or two members. I am talking about the crazy ones, the freaks. Now ofcourse solos are not as dangerous but there is an observable pattern in their behaviors.

There was some data on solo stan trends on Twitter recently and three countries came at top: Saudi Arabia, India and Brazil. Now these are countries which have quite conservative values in their societies. India and Brazil currently have a red wave going on.

Anyways this was just me psychoanalyzing solo stans a bit. You can disagree ofcourse.

• i'm not so sure, man. it just seems to me like the overwhelming majority of fans are all in on the pronouns and policing people online with whatever woke doctrine is considered trendy this week which is behavior that's more typically associated with left wing ideology

• i'm not so sure, man. it just seems to me like the overwhelming majority of fans are all in on the pronouns and policing people online with whatever woke doctrine is considered trendy this week which is behavior that's more typically associated with left wing ideology

I think it's just a bunch of lonely, privileged kids looking for arguments online because of lack of attention in real life which is quite common on the right. Alt right become spree shooters if out of control. Don't think solos are that but definitely lonely kids.

• I think it's just a bunch of lonely, privileged kids looking for arguments online because of lack of attention in real life which is quite common on the right. Alt right just become spree shooters if out of control. Don't think solos are that but definitely lonely kids.

well, regardless of what they really are, i can't help but feel a little bit sorry. they just can deal with of all that anxiety and insecurity through more productive means like exercise and stuff if they wanted to

• i can see the parallels between the solo stans conspiracy theories and the alt right's conspiracy theories :eyes:

but i think it has more to do with the concept of stanning

stanning a human being in itself is not a great concept and solo stans hyperfocus on one member which leads to projecting a bit too much on the member which leads to problems

stanning a whole group ensures that u are not hyperfocusing too much on a singular member and i think its a healthier way of stanning (or as healthy as stanning someone can get which is not a lot lol)

focusing on india, i really dont think the red wave going on in India has anything to do with solo stanning behaviour because the target audience of kpop/bts in india, young women between the age of 15-35 from metro cities are not likely to be right wing at all... this demographic is definitely more liberal leaning

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!