Posts by _Mysteric

Blackpink has way more attention than Dia (다이다) for sure.

...and this is how I find out DIA released that single! Ironically, I haven't been paying much attention to newer K-pop aside from the big names (I'm too preoccupied on groups no one's cared about since 1995, not 2015 ^^ ). Of course, since it's basically a goodbye single it's boring as ever, but they did release something. I had been waiting for two years!!

I don't really care. A lot of what I listen to is K-pop, but you can find some gems in America and the rest of the Anglosphere too. I don't find any country inherently "better" at music than another. If you look past Top 40 you can find good stuff. That's true for K-pop, too, y'know – try giving attention to some "nugus" or groups rarely paid attention to these days, they can be a breath of fresh air for someone who only follows the big names.

I don’t know why a lot of people are going down the road of "he’s an attention seeker" – that just seems excessively negative. Just having a unique style of dress or being eccentric doesn’t mean you’re an attention whore. I know this kind of "presence" is one Chanhyuk has only cultivated recently, but maybe this is how he feels comfortable expressing himself now. I personally think although what he’s wearing and doing might not be usual, it makes him stand out from the crowd. He reminds me of this fashion designer, Bajowoo (99&IS), with the glasses and mask and hair. I don’t know, it’s just kinda appealing to me. Anyways, it’s like y’all learned the concept of a "pick me" and decided to call everyone that. No need to be so negative.

A lot has changed in K-pop since even the early days of 3rd gen – the trends, the style, and the fan culture are just some (but not all) things that have evolved since, say, 2012. I'm sure a lot of you like older groups, and I'm curious to see where you think they'd be if they debuted right now, in 4th gen. Cuz K-pop was way different just two or so generations ago.

For my faves, TVXQ...let's say they debuted as they were in 2003 (i.e. OT5). K-pop stans nowadays would probably hail them as a savior with their light concept and focus on vocals. And even nowadays, Pinterest kids are falling for the magic of debut-era Kim Jaejoong. Not to mention being under SM would also be a benefit for them. (Let's disregard the fact that TVXQ basically got SM out of their flop era, this is a thought experiment. I won't even get into the problems I'd have to disregard to do H.O.T., my other faves...)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(the English title doesn't start with a number but let me have this one)

I'm on my real investigative journalism stint right now. After looking closer at the picture I figured the poster said "under license to Kill All Music & TimeSlave Recordings". I searched up releases including both labels on Discogs, and all I got was...a best of album by a band called Freeweights. Not sure how Blackpink factors into this, but maybe it'll solve itself. Oh well.

Edit: Oh, someone else already mentioned it. Oh well.

This thread is like a bloody scooby doo episode and we're the meddling kids

Yeah, actually. ^^ Well, looking on the Wayback Machine's archives for blackpink.com, it seems like all the archives are either domain parking pages (which have no real content) or error pages. But I dunno, I haven't bothered to check all 117 snapshots of the site, so if you have too much time on your hands, maybe give that a try. But that'll probably be a waste of time, anyways.

"Oh, we have it all figured out..." I posted this earlier, I think there are still things to be cleared up...still a mystery to me...

Hmmm... after looking more closely, that Australian band's page doesn't seem very professional. Their bio has multiple spelling and punctuation mistakes, and on all the things I can find on their Bandcamp there's no connection to TimeSlave. (It goes both ways, too – I can't find any artist under TimeSlave named Blackpink.) In addition, TimeSlave Recordings is a synthwave label and Australian BP claims themselves as an indie rock outfit.

So... the mystery goes on!

External Content twitter.com

oh?

Hmmm... after looking more closely, that Australian band's page doesn't seem very professional. Their bio has multiple spelling and punctuation mistakes, and on all the things I can find on their Bandcamp there's no connection to TimeSlave. (It goes both ways, too – I can't find any artist under TimeSlave named Blackpink.) In addition, TimeSlave Recordings is a synthwave label and Australian BP claims themselves as an indie rock outfit.

So... the mystery goes on!

THIS

Nothing about this makes any sense. The random dude suffering his ass off while Seo Taiji & Boys happen to play on his TV, the random intercut shots of the Taiji Boys snowboarding...the random intercut shots of the Taiji Boys snowboarding?! This really confounds me.

I'm just interested. I saw the video for Taesaja's Affection and while the song is a nice little generic 90s dance tune, the MV looks like it'd be more fit for a ballad. Like, seriously, at the part where there'd usually be a dance break there's a montage of the female lead's most treasured memories with...all four Taesaja members? This really is weird...anyways, I'm just curious as to if there are any other MVs you've seen where there's a contrast between them and the song.

For those who don't know, the Mandela effect is when a large group of people remembers and believes something as fact, but they actually had false memories. The name of the phenomenon is derived from the large amount of people who remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 80s, instead of how it actually went (he actually died in 2013). Now, let's put away that "large group of people" aspect for a bit and go full "77 + 33 DOESN'T equal 100?!" dumb. What are some things in K-pop you swear existed/happened, but later found out never did?

I have two personal examples: the first one is that I swear I saw the MV for IZ*ONE's Fiesta months before it was really released. You know how BLOOM*IZ was delayed for a few months due to the Produce rigging scandal? During the time BLOOM*IZ was in purgatory, I swear I saw the MV for its title track. I passed it off, but a few days later I tried searching it up and saw absolutely nothing. Now, I just chalk this up to a fanmade video I mistook as real, but back then I was really confused.

The second one is a bit stranger – for a long while, I always thought H.O.T had six members. But, like, not really – I've always known H.O.T were a fivesome, but when I was first getting into them I always had the vibe that there was supposed to be a sixth member. When I looked at their group photos I just felt someone was missing, and when I had to name out all the members I'd name all five of them and then be like "am I missing someone...?". As I've gotten to know H.O.T better, though, this feeling has disappeared.

So, what are your personal K-pop "Mandela effects"? (And yes, this is inspired by this Reddit thread from a while ago. I just wanted to make it a bit more personal. :p )

For me, it'd probably be the obsession with streaming K-pop stans have nowadays. Back in 2007 no one really cared how many YouTube views a song got (mostly because there were, like, no official channels uploading K-pop MVs then), but now streaming is basically essential. to being a K-pop stan. There are even some (very bad) groups of stans who'll guilt trip a fandom if their group's MV doesn't get as many views as they usually do. Very odd behavior if you ask me.

But what thing that happens nowadays in the K-pop world do you think would shock a 2007 stan if you told them about it?

Hmm, I've been following this case like a White Angel following Kangta to his house, and maybe you're a bit late on this one. There have already been defense posts popping up from other ex-employees.

The first one claims to have worked from 2012 to 2014 (a bit before most of the other victims claimed they worked there) and they don't have much substantial proof other than a picture of themselves in front of some wall. The post's contents itself is just clearing up (maybe) claims made by the first two accusers. I personally take it with a grain of salt, but you should read the post regardless.

The second employee claims to have worked there from 2019 to 2020. They said things that actively contradict the others' statements, such as that the CEO didn't make them do labor (that OP said he would always carry all the bags and when they asked to carry some he was like "that's my job not yours", and he wasn't a penny-pincher when it came to his trainees. This person also provided a proof picture in a room very similar (read: basically the same) to what the other trainees have uploaded.

I may or may not be here to defend him - admittedly, I have a little bit of a bias, but for the days before the aforementioned defense posts I was jumping him like no tomorrow. Still, it's your choice to believe these posts or not. I'm just spreading information that's already come out in Korea to the rest of the world. (The world = allkpop, apparently)