What is your opinion on schools changing STEM to STEAM to include art?

• Anyway I don’t understand why people are so mad about this.. a long time ago, many great artists were scientists too.. most notable is Leonardo da Vinci.. we are the ones who put boundaries on fields/areas and label them.. this made people think that those who do arts, can’t do science and vice versa. That’s so sad..

Here is an article about some notable scientist-artists

7 Scientific Pioneers Who Were Also Artistic Visionaries, From the Inventor of the Morse Code to the Founder of Neurobiology | Artnet News
    From Samuel Morse to John James Audubon, some of the greatest scientific minds were also inspired by their love for the arts.
    news.artnet.com

• Best Answer

I'm not the most knowledgeable about it but it makes it a broad category and essentially sums up most of every university with a few exceptions so I find it kinda dumb. Math is in the art's department at my uni for example but it was already in the stem abbreviation so I guess this might be so social sciences students feel more important idk. I think stem is involved for funding things at least when I was in uni student gov for a while (I know art is connected with science mainly visual and musical arts though in practice not so much in academia) so maybe it's a ploy to get more money to art's departments even though for most classes(not music or visual or performing arts) they're classes are really cheap to teach.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!