The rise of Lee Mujin - is the vocalist tradition coming back?

• Few people had heard about Lee Mujin before 2021, and the 2000-born singer is now residing at #1 in Melon.

He placed #3 in the Sing Again audition held by JTBC earlier the year, but the #1 follows an experimental style of music and the #2 is a rocker in his 40s, so his style was the most friendly with the Korean general public.

He does not follow the traditional style of K-ballads - many people say his singing style is similar to Jason Mraz.

Now, I have said earlier that male vocalists will always be in demand. However, after Akmu's Lee Chanhyuk, Korea lacked male vocalists and the better talented ones ended up in trot.

I had expected that the vocalist tradition would end with the Senior Singer and Akmu, but JTBC managed to find a successor to the vocalist tradition which had taken a long hiatus, ending with KWill and Hwang Chiyeol.

While Lee Mujin is still not well known among i-fans, it seems that with the trot craze kind of fading from the general public (although they will still be strong among the older population), it seems after many years, the vocalists are coming back with a vengeance, although they will compete for a different niche from the KPoppers.

• Shouldn't you mention that the Senior Singer, has already has him in her orbit of filial Hoobaes?

Collab coming up

Yes,

IU has already taken control and is surly overseeing his path to chart domination

美친 목소리 합! 아이유(IU)&이무진(LEE MU JIN)의 특급 컬래버 〈라일락(LILAC)〉♪ 유명가수전(famous singers) 2회 | JTBC 210409 방송
    美친 목소리 합! 아이유&이무진의 특급 컬래버 ′라일락(LILAC)′♪#유명가수전 #아이유 #이무진
    www.youtube.com

• For a more serious reply, i do think Lee mujin has the potential to become something thats been missing for some time in korea, a consistent big male "pop artist", maybe something to balance out the female dominance in the charts (soloists)

That said i doubt he will ever any reach outside the domestic market.

• For a more serious reply, i do think Lee mujin has the potential to become something thats been missing for some time in korea, a consistent big male "pop artist", maybe something to balance out the female dominance in the charts (soloists)

As I keep asking, why is Paul Kim not considered Kpop, he is successful on charts. And Jung Beom June, Jung Seung-hwan - there are impressive male Soloists.

But somehow they don't get included in discussions around Kpop.

Whyknock dislikes those who cater only to local market

He is already garnering an interest in China, like Hwang Chiyeol did. With popularity in China, Lee Mujin is set for life.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!