Are Facial Oils/ Serums effective?

• I recently got Facial Serums gifted by my friend. Since my face is acne-prone, sensitive, and combination skin. I am a bit skeptical to use it. I usually do my skin care in this order-

Morning

1. Face Wash
    2. Toner
    3. Moisturizer
    4. Sunscreen

Night

1. Face Wash
    2. Tea Tree Oil
    3. OTP acne gel

I recently gave my face a break because of white-puss acne breakouts. But I just don't want the serums to be kept in my fridge forever and then be thrown when it expires.

Is it okay for my skin ?

• It depends of what kind of serum and oil and effective for what?

If it is to get rid of acne, I would say probably no, but it can help your skin overall and lessen the breakouts like that if you have a good slincare routine (not oils though!).

• What type of serums? If you give me the name + brand, I'll read the ingredients and see if it'd be worth a shot or not.

You should be careful with what you layer also because you use OTP gel(?) + tea tree oil and idk what acids you have in your other products.

Has tea tree oil been helping you with your skin? That should be targeting the white puss breakouts. TTO can be a hit or miss with sensitive skin.

• Various face masks and oils for problem skin are effective, but some have such sensitive skin that can cause severe allergies. Therefore, I would not risk it and try safer methods so as not to risk it.

I'm talking about things like facial yoga. These are awesome exercises that will quickly make your skin tighten, and after a couple of months, you will forget about wrinkles and other problems.

You can find a set of exercises for the face here https://faceyoga.com. I tested these exercises myself, and I can say that it works great.

• Hello there! I think it is better to make patch testing, in order to know if it will harm your skin or not. I have been struggling with acne since I was 14 years old. Unfortunately, nobody could really help me, and at that time I had many breakdowns and I really wanted to have dry skin because it is not prone to acne. Then I started to work more on myself and to find out more information about it. First purchases were a failure, but then I found the ones that helped me a lot. Sorry if that was out of the topic.

• Yes, facial oils/serums are effective. But one needs to understand that there is a thin line between good and bad. One can get adversely affected by those products that are not formulated to treat the skin type (e.g. for combination skin, you need to use a serum suited for that skin type). Products that don't have natural ingredients, fillers etc are not good and may produce adverse reactions. Only use the products that have been specifically formulated for your skin type and have natural ingredients. Always consult with a dermatologist to get the best advice for your skin.

A big percentage of women use face oils and serums despite the fact that they really don't know what they are supposed to do. They are just supposed to be skincare products that are anti-aging, but without knowing the right way to use them, they are pretty useless. So I would say Facial oils and serums are effective only if they are used the right way.

• Well, in my opinion, it totally depends on your skin texture and the skin care brand you are using. Let it be facial oils, moisturizers, cleansers, make-up removers or any other skin care product, always choose the ones that are dermatologically formulated and clinically proven. Because they are reliable when compared with other brands available in the stores. I'm having a bit of dry skin type. So I constantly make sure to include a moisturizer and a cleanser for dry skin in my skin care regime. Your skin care routine also seems to be good and following it regularly will certainly give great results.

• Facial serums usually have a greater concentration of active ingredients or ingredients of a different molecular size or weight to penetrate the deeper levels of the skin so will generally pack more of a punch in terms of effects. Facial oils - well, they’re all different depending on what ingredients they have (same as serums) but mostly work best as a nourishing or extra occlusive layer to seal in everything at night.

If you want to tell us what the actual products are, or what the ingredients are, can help more (this is my job, lol), but would advise always patch testing to check for sensitivity, and usually building in one new product at a time to check for efficacy or any problems.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!