phishing text messages

• okay so i ordered something from a popular site yesterday, and today i got a text message from a weird number saying something like "your order [insert order number here] is stuck in transit. please click this link to pay"

and obviously i googled the number and everyone said it's a sketchy number, so i called the store and asked where my package is, and they told me it's NOT stuck in transit at all, and the text message was just a fake.

but still.... how do these phishing texts even work??? how did they even know my order number?

something similar has happened in the past. i upgraded to spotify premium, and the day after that i got a phishing text message saying something like "thank you for upgrading to spotify premium, but your card didn't work. please click this link to update your card information" like?????????? obviously it was a fake text because the number was so weird. how do these people even find out that i upgraded to spotify premium the day before???

• Being this specific maybe you have some kind of spyware in your device.

Usually they target random numbers or numbers that have fallen for it before.

i never click any links, so i haven't fallen for it before, thankfully. but it's still creepy that they know this personal information.

spyware??? maybe i should reset my phone then :pepe-cross:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!