I just realised something about artists.

• This is longer than I expected so if you don't like to read long stuff, you can leave now. Just a heads up.

Call me slow or dense but I just realised something. If you're an artist, meaning, a painter, sketcher, writer/storyteller, lyricist, sculptor, singer, video editor, dancer etc. you can make your own world.

(If you like to read books, this kind of applies as well. Only that you are escaping to someone else's crafted reality instead of yours)

Obviously not meant in a literal sense. I just realised it as I was finishing up a sketch. I don't know if any of you that do the crafts mentioned above feel it, but when I draw or write, it feels... good. It feels like I have some kind of power in my hands, because whatever happens next, the next stroke of my pencil or word I type, is in my complete control. It's entirely up to me.

Using this, combined with my imagination, I can do things I've always wanted to do. I can fly. I can fight dragons. I can befriend celebrities. I can make likenesses of fictional characters I admire. I can control the elements. If I'm watching a show and I don't like what's happening, I can separately depict what I want to happen. That's where fanfiction and fanart come in I guess? When reality isn't going to good, I can craft up my own separate one. Maybe this is also why I like dreams so much.

Bottom line is, I, and others, as an artist can make my own reality that makes me happier than the one I'm physically living. And I think that's beautiful. <3

• I love this. I felt the same way when I started up painting (though I wouldn't call myself an artist in any way) when we first had to quarantine. I felt SO good to be able to just pick up some paint and slap it on a paper with no clear direction because I could paint whatever I wanted, however I wanted. It was an escape, and it made me feel like I was in my own bubble.

I feel the same way when reading books (or, *cringe* fan fics) because I love that they have the power to take me to a whole different world that's no doubt better than the one I'm living in right now.

Art is so important!! ):

• I kinda hate the term but

"playing god" in a world is often what a creator does in an imagination driven piece.

you can mold things however you want

but the best thing about it for me is that cool ideas that I've always liked to think about exist in the real world now.

For me if I had a cool idea for a machine, or a cool hairstyle that I wanted to see it would finally "leave a mark" so to speak. It finally exists for real when I draw it out or write it down.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!