On the ground sounds jarring bc it’s in a major key when it should’ve been in minor

• The song is so much improved with just a change from major to minor

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I prefer the major key actually. This isn't actually a "sad" song and the minor sounds misplaced to me.

i mean what you’re talking about has only to do with the lyrics, while i was referring solely to the song’s production in terms of its melody ie. how it sounds. They could’ve changed the lyrics entirely to fit the “sad” mood if they wrote the song in a minor key, or conversely they could’ve altogether written a different song in major key that doesn’t sound “sad” in order to fit the current non-sad lyrics that they want to keep.

What i’m trying to say is that issue could be averted easily. My point was about the song’s sounds purely in terms of music; the lyrics / message they want to get across doesn’t have anything to do with it

• i mean what you’re talking about has only to do with the lyrics, while i was referring solely to the song’s production in terms of its melody ie. how it sounds. They could’ve changed the lyrics entirely to fit the “sad” mood if they wrote the song in a minor key, or conversely they could’ve altogether written a different song in major key that doesn’t sound “sad” in order to fit the current non-sad lyrics that they want to keep.

What i’m trying to say is that issue could be averted easily. My point was about the song’s sounds purely in terms of music; the lyrics / message they want to get across doesn’t have anything to do with it

The lyrics have everything to do with it, especially in a case like OTG where it's not just a pop party song. In OTG the lyrics carry an intended message, so the music has to support that message.

Ok I just re-listened to the song and played against it along with some existing chord charts. This song is actually minor feel in the verses and modulates to major feel for the Chorus (although it's essentially diatonic using the related minor and major keys, relying on the tonic of the section to set the feel of minor or major). It's minor while she is lamenting past choices but major when she puts forth the main message, which I think is a great choice.

Edited 6 times, last by giskard ().

• Her song’s vibe reminds me of this

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The lyrics have everything to do with it, especially in a case like OTG where it's not just a pop party song. In OTG the lyrics carry an intended message, so the music has to support that message.

Ok I just re-listened to the song and played against it along with some existing chord charts. This song is actually minor feel in the verses and modulates to major feel for the Chorus (although it's essentially diatonic using the related minor and major keys, relying on the tonic of the section to set the feel of minor or major). It's minor while she is lamenting past choices but major when she puts forth the main message, which I think is a great choice.

Idt you understood my post bc you’re talking about what i’d I literally just addressed lol...

when i said the lyrics had nothing to do with the song musically, I didn’t mean songs in general shouldn’t care to have lyrics that fit their right mood. All i’ve been trying to explain is that my op is only criticising the song from a songwriting pov ie. whether it sounds good or not. Suitable lyrics to go with a song’s mood doesn’t have anything to do with whether it’s actually musically a good song or not bc it’s totally irrelevant in that sense.

So like i’d already said in my previous post, the producers of on the ground could perfectly keep its current lyrics and write a song whose mood supports those lyrics. It’s just that the song they actually wrote sounds imo better in minor than major. These 2 facts don’t cancel each other out, contrary to what you think

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!